Re: [[existlist] Human nature]

  • NAGARAJ BADRASETTY
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2001
      "Diana" <diana_alexandrova@...> wrote:

      > MIME Type:�multipart/alternative
      Hello everyone!

      A question:

      The Existentialist philosophers say that the human is authentic. But
      then they go on talking of the human nature in general.

      For example, when Heidegger wants to find the analytic of dasein,
      does he mean by dasein only himself?

      If I'm to follow strictly the idea of human authenticity, all I'll be
      able to say is "man is a sort of variable" and that's all. If I
      continue to speak of man, then I'll already be outlining some basic
      human nature, in spite of authenticity.

      I'm not trying to find inconsistencies within the theory, I just want
      to find out how they explain that. Can anyone help me?

      Diana

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
        I'm no help; I'm a newbie!

        =====
        Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Edward Alf
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
          hi Folks,

          im new to the list ....

          by way of introduction, im an electrical engineer specializing in design
          standards for aerodrome visual aids (e.g. runway lighting) ... im 56 ...
          living in the beautiful province of Quebec in Canada ....

          i have been on this personal spiritual quest thing for more years than i
          wish to think about ....

          as part of aerodrome visual aids i get involved in visual perception and the
          manner of signal processing in the brain ... what i have come across is the
          idea that the human brain is "wired" for religion and god ... that is
          perhaps being too specific and you may wish to say simply that one's brain
          is inclined to spirituality, because this enables survival through means of
          a social interconnectiveness ....

          be that as it may, im wondering if there is a possibility of a
          spiritual/religious side of existentialism ... i realise that Sartre was an
          atheist, but is a belief in god necessarily incompatible with the philosophy
          ... i dont think it is incompatible if worship is a matter of appreciation
          or awe for the condition of "being" ....

          regards

          eduard
        • Dustin Pickering
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2001
            Religious existentialists believe in God, and think we
            look to God for meaning. Look up Kierkegaard. I just
            started reading him...his belief in God was based on
            faith, not logic.

            =====
            Next time you feel guilty, think of rats...

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • Edward Alf
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
              hi Dustin,

              i dont get it .... why should i think of rats the next time i feel guilty
              .... (assuming i should feel guilty about something) ...

              regards

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                I put that upwhen I assumed there was a human
                nature...that we all were "born green" as Sylvia Plath
                writes. Destructive little rodants...we all are like
                that, you see?

                Of course, now I have trouble believing in a "human
                nature" because so many varieties of people exist.
                What do you think?

                =====

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                  Dustin et Folks,

                  no i do not see it ... rodents are only doing their thing ... it is not
                  something that we like, but that does not mean that they are not part of the
                  scheme of things ... i dont think that rats ever reflect upon their
                  circumstance as to whether it is good or bad ...

                  which is a good point in the way of asking whether a rat would be an
                  existentialist ... after all his/her object is only being and survival ...
                  the problems with humans is that in the process of surviving we tend to
                  color our world in all sorts of assumptions ...

                  as to your question on where to start with existentialism, i would suggest
                  that you pick up a recent publication on the workings of the human brain ...
                  it will give you a view of how humans operate ... the brain uses our senses
                  to sample the world and must come up with an interpretation which lends it
                  self to survival ... we make a mistake and do not survive successfully when
                  our coloration is not adequate ....

                  regards

                • tothehoop32000@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 27, 2001
                    Hey all....I'm new to this group and I need help big time. Right now
                    I'm writing a paper on John Barth and my teacher wants my thesis to
                    be about existential absurdity. If anyone is familiar with this
                    ideology or if they have any knowledge on it at all...please email me
                    at tothehoop3@......I really need help so I would really
                    apreciate it..thanks...

                    Bill
                  • Paul R Turner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2001
                      I'm not familiar with John Barth. But Albert Camus put forward the notion of the Absurd. Life is absurd, but this is not a negative statement as many who misunderstand existentialism believe it to be. It is acceptance. On this theme see particularly The Myth of Sisyphus and to a lesser extent The Stranger/The Outsider (name depending on whether you are in the States or the UK respectively).

                      Hope this helps. Good Luck