Re: [existlist] Digest Number 216

  • Christina Marshall
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2001
      I thought it was actually Immanuel Kant (not an existentialist) who said
      that a moral act is one that is deemed right for the whole of humanity in
      his Categorical Imperative, which is just a rewording of the Golden Rule
      (you know.... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"). I may
      be mistaken, but the core to existentialist moral philosophy is the idea
      that a person must take responsibility for his/her actions at all costs,
      regardless of if they are moral or not. By simply taking responsibility
      however, each individual has a responsibility not only towards themselves,
      but towards everyone else. Perhaps the two are a bit similar, but I must say
      that I'm not well read enough to comment further.

      I also can fully understand ethical relativism, which I sometimes think of
      as wonderfully true, and sometimes as an unfortunate reality. Anyone agree?

      (gotta go...)

      christina