Re: [existlist] Digest Number 216

  • Mongrel Dog
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2001
      >For example, when Heidegger wants to find the analytic of dasein,
      >does he mean by dasein only himself?

      I think it was Sartre who said that the decisions & judgements a person
      makes for themselves be they moral, or active are the decisions that person
      deems right for the whole of humanity.
      Since we only are able to recollect our lives in this present form, we
      seemingly must assume that all equate to ourselves other wise we could not
      build anything together.
      Although I also agree with the other side in that all morals are useless as
      all men have different morals, we cannot possibly judge the value of each
      individual's moral currency.

      Could blather on for ages...
      Especially as this is my first post,
      Matthew,
    • Christina Marshall
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2001
        I thought it was actually Immanuel Kant (not an existentialist) who said
        that a moral act is one that is deemed right for the whole of humanity in
        his Categorical Imperative, which is just a rewording of the Golden Rule
        (you know.... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"). I may
        be mistaken, but the core to existentialist moral philosophy is the idea
        that a person must take responsibility for his/her actions at all costs,
        regardless of if they are moral or not. By simply taking responsibility
        however, each individual has a responsibility not only towards themselves,
        but towards everyone else. Perhaps the two are a bit similar, but I must say
        that I'm not well read enough to comment further.

        I also can fully understand ethical relativism, which I sometimes think of
        as wonderfully true, and sometimes as an unfortunate reality. Anyone agree?

        (gotta go...)

        christina