Human nature

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
      Hello everyone!

      A question:

      The Existentialist philosophers say that the human is authentic. But
      then they go on talking of the human nature in general.

      For example, when Heidegger wants to find the analytic of dasein,
      does he mean by dasein only himself?

      If I'm to follow strictly the idea of human authenticity, all I'll be
      able to say is "man is a sort of variable" and that's all. If I
      continue to speak of man, then I'll already be outlining some basic
      human nature, in spite of authenticity.

      I'm not trying to find inconsistencies within the theory, I just want
      to find out how they explain that. Can anyone help me?

      Diana
    • Mongrel Dog
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2001
        Ed~
        "the human brain is "wired" for religion and god ... that is
        perhaps being too specific and you may wish to say simply that one's brain
        is inclined to spirituality"

        This is dual argument: are we spiritual beings condensed to the physical, or
        physical beings with ethreal aspirations?
        My life is a hazy dream, things are so beautifull but vague; there is
        nothing for my mind to cling to, subsequently I am often bewildered by
        others surety of thought on a subject.

        And for those who wish to unsubscibe: do it yourself, it's not that
        difficult. If there is little related information/discussion start one
        yourselves or contribute.

        Matt.
      • Mongrel Dog

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 8:50 AM
            Matt,

            i think that ultimately, when you get down to it, the mind is simply a bunch
            of neurons firing away in response to sensing the outside world ... religion
            and spirituality is our way of interpretation which helps us to survive ...
            existentialism is another interpretation .. whether or not it is a good
            interpretation depends upon how well it allows us to live ... if you wished
            to think that humans came from an alien source in a some far distant galaxy
            ... and that makes things better for you ... then that is also a good
            interpretation ... where we have run into a problem is that we might wish to
            force others to have the same interpretation and this leads to inquisitions
            and burnings on the cross ...

            regards and have fun