consciousness

  • michael mcguire
    Message 1 of 77 , Jul 26, 2002
      I think it is completely forlorn to believe that the mind is anything more
      than our neurons and their complex pathways/connections. There is nothing
      magical or mysterious about the mind in that sense. But science still has
      alot of interesting problmes to solve regarding the mind, so I think asking
      the questions are worth it, even if all we can hope to gain is more
      knowledge about function.

      Mike

    • eduard at home
      Message 77 of 77 , Dec 13, 2003
        Jo,

        Although I grant "secret code" is your words, I only said
        that it was a code. Or perhaps I should have said that it
        is a style. It's a code/style which seems to serve the
        purposes of the author and not the reader. As Bill
        mentioned, it is a sort of poetry and I suppose one should
        take it as such. But then, when it comes to philosophy, I
        am not inclined to search out meaning in poetry. For
        example, I could define the individual as "carrot". In
        which case, my writing could be such as to say, "within each
        carrot, there is a desire for carrot purpose". I may think
        of this as a nice* way of saying something, but it gets
        tiring for the reader.

        I was fairly clear in my questions and I am not really
        interested in searching through ExistList to find post
        numbers. Lets try a new start.

        What evidence is there of eternity for the individual
        consciousness. My view is that the individual consciousness
        rises and falls with one's life-time. I believe that this
        view is in line with Existentialism, in that it is
        subjective and a matter of my* consciousness. How can this
        consciousness be millions of years old??

        eduard

        original
        ==================

        eduard,

        Since this is the thread about "unknown knowns", please give
        me the
        post #'s that you are referring to where I have refused to
        respond to
        your questions. I'll try to answer them again. I thought I
        did answer
        and that we did actually have a discussion, but obviously I
        was
        wrong.

        Of course The Blue Rose Project is open to discussion. Which
        concept
        should we try again? You said there was no "evidence" for
        eternity. I
        said there was. You said the author was purposefully being
        convoluted
        and using a secret code (my words). I said this wasn't true,
        since I
        know the author. I also explained that I was excerpting
        material that
        deals with the nascence of consciousness which probably took
        place
        millions of years ago. That's what I recall, but I'm willing
        to try
        again. You don't like the work and feel it's a waste of your
        time.
        That's okay. Like I said before, it's not for everybody.
        Besides
        eternity, author intent, and the state of consciousness
        today, not in
        the past; what else would you want to knock around?

        Of course I'm sensitive. My reasons have been stated. I'm
        biased
        about the author and the material since it's been a part of
        my life.
        I make no apologies. Most people select, digest promote
        philosophy
        and religion based on their existing personal biases. Most
        people
        aren't open to having their perceptions turned inside out.
        So be it.

        Jo