Re: [existlist] Existentialims and Religiojn.

  • Scott W. Sharpe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2001
      Hello,

      I recently subscribed to this list and wanted to introduce myself to
      everyone. My name is Scott Sharpe. I'm a librarian in a small-to-mid size
      town in northeastern Oklahoma. I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal
      Justice and minor degree in psychology. I'm a course or two short of
      receiving my Master's degree in College Teaching with specialization in the
      fields associated with the behavioral sciences: psychology, sociology, and
      criminal justice. My Master's work has all been of a philosophical nature,
      much to the chagrin of my professors! But oddly enough it was a statistics
      professor that encouraged my existential take on all things educational and
      behavioral. I'm doing research in the fields of Existential Education and
      Existential Psychology -- actually, the merging of the two (or three as it
      may) ideas. In a strange twist of fate, my primary duty as a librarian is
      technology management and instruction. After all of those essays about the
      dangers of technology and their influx on modern society's existential well
      being, I now have a heavy hand at teaching people how to use the Internet
      and also have the responsibily to administer the machines that allow that
      access.

      I'm not an expert in the Existentialism by any means, and I suppose to be so
      would defile the nature of existentialism itself. I know, many existential
      thinkers would prefer that the moniker was not even available as many don't
      believe that there is even such a school of thought. I disagree however and
      think that existential thought is a school in it's own right just as much
      any other way of thinking. And there are enough universally accepted ideas
      and concepts among the great existential thinkers to acquiant such a label.
      I do believe, however, that there are varying degrees of existential
      thought. And the range is probably more three dimensional than Likert.

      Anyway, I look forward to the great discussion that this list has the
      potential to provide!

      Sincerely,

      Scott W. Sharpe