Moral first aid

  • michael mcguire
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2002
      About morality...definitions...ranting..etc...

      It might be a better idea to NOT seek out a displaced (separate from the
      lived-in-world) dictionary for moral solutions and/or preliminary
      definitions. I think philosopher of mind/cog.scientist Daniel Dennett does
      a find job on morality in his book 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea'(Ch's.16,17,18).

      In my view, morality is something that can be manipulated, changed or
      adjusted according to situation and circumstance. On the surface this might
      seem like a license for certain atrocities and hatred etc., however the
      point that I want to make is quite opposite. Too often rigid moral
      structures and belief systems end up causing huge amounts of damage and
      destruction toward the human Being. (Certain--and obvious aspects of Islam
      being one example.)

      Put your thoughts into the context of Your experiences. Don't look to
      idealistic books, or rigid dictionaries for solutions to moral dilemmas.
      (The Bible is one such rigid piece of nonsense, --albeit great fiction. )

      Read Nietzsche's 'Genealogy of Morals'. This is not to say he has the
      answers either but...it's a step in the right direction. It gave me a good
      perspective anyway.

      Mike

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2002
        Mike,

        A dictionary is simply something handy to give
        definitions ... it is not intended to provide
        "moral solutions".

        Of course morality is something that can be
        manipulated, but I am not understanding your point
        on this. If someone is inclined to kill or cause
        damage, anything can serve as a motivation.