Re: Reflections on Bad Faith: To Con Oneself

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
      deceiving others as a result of deceiving oneself may be true, but i doubt
      sartre was really as concerned about that as the full implication of
      deceiving oneself for oneself (not so much for others, though it comes in
      the package. but strictly, deception of others is only considered deception
      [and not mere misleading] when there is a intention, so a sincerely self
      deceived person cannot deceive others because there isnt any intention to do
      so; and IF there is intention, a cunning person can present facts and
      'truth' in such a way that the victim can end up being deceived in
      interpretation).

      james.

      From: praxistence@...
      To: Sartre@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Sartre] Re: Reflections on Bad Faith: To Con Oneself
      Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:29:38 EDT

      I suspect that when you deceive yourself, you're also going to deceive
      others: you're seldom going to deceive yourself into believing you are not
      sick but simultaneously tell others you have TB. I'm guessing (anyone else
      disagreeing, please challenge) that for Sartre bad faith in deceiving
      oneself
      implies that you're likewise gonna be deceiving others.