Re: [existlist] quote

  • Bill Harris
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 2, 2002
      Eduard, Irepeat the following abstract to show a further refinement in
      measurement of the electron. Heisenberd claimed this precision to be
      impossible because the measuring itself would desturb the entity measured.
      The exclusion principle does not stand up in our current technology.
      Sub-laser-cycle electron pulses for probing molecular dynamics.
      Experience shows that the ability to make measurements in any new time
      regime opens new areas of science . Currently, expermental probes for the
      attosecound time regime{10-18_ 10--15s] are being established. The leading
      approach is the generation of attosecound optical pulses by ionizing atoms
      with intense laser pulses. This nonlinear process leads to the production of
      high harmonics during collisions between electrons and the ionizing atoms.
      The underlying mechanism implies control of energetic electrons with
      attosecound precision. We propose the electrons themselves can be exploited
      for ultrafast measurements. We use a molecular clock based on a vibrational
      wave packet in H2+ to show that distinct bunches of electrons appear
      during electron-ion collisions with high current densities and durations of
      about 1 femtosecond{ 10-15s]. Furthermore, we use the molecular clock to
      study the dynamics of non-sequential double ionization.
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 5, 2003
        All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable,
        those that are movable, and those that move.

        Benjamin Franklin
        (1706-1790, American Scientist, Publisher, Diplomat)

        shari

        ---