Re: [existlist] Digest Number 202

  • Amber L Griffioen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2001
      Zeitman,

      I think one can be an existentialist without being a universal ethical
      egoist. Let's not confuse the two. Perhaps, however, this problem occurs
      because of different views of the word "selfish," but I doubt this is the
      case. In my opinion, altruism is, indeed, possible, and an altruistic act
      coiuld be performed by a self-proclaimed existentialist. But perhaps I
      give humanity too much credit.

      Amber

      "I am not an angel," I asserted; "and I will not be one till I die: I
      will be myself...you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of
      me -- for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which
      I do not at all anticipate." -from "Jane Eyre"

      Amber Griffioen
      griffioe@...
      amber_griffs@...
      http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs