Re: Digest Number 37

  • Rajiv
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 1999
      Dear Charles,
      This is Rajiv Pande. I liked your words on maorality and agree with you on
      the aspect of full and complete responsibility for one's actions. I have
      used this principle in attacking the notion of the "conditioned reflex" and
      the "unconscious" mind as excuses to absolve oneself of moral responsibility
      for one's actions. Since this somehow is not consistent with psychopathic
      serial killers - (we'd rather not believe they are morally responsible for
      their actions), I prefer to detach responsibility from morality. This means
      that there is a living agent in every human or animal or plant which
      processes all action. Whether it is moral or immoral is a collective social
      decision. Morality, I feel is merely a form of compromise - and that it will
      spring up automatically in every group of humans that is forced to live
      together by way of common trade or hunting ground etc. Morality is not a
      virtue at all. Pure virtue is raw and rough - untouched by the inhibiting
      forces of enfirced civilization.
      Rajiv Pande