Re: [existlist] essential starting points

  • Cris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
      Hi:
      I wouldn't consider Nietzsche as an Existentialist. Although very
      interesting.
      Maybe Kirkegaard or even Schopenhauer, whom Sartre studied. Philosophy -Also
      Hannah Arendt, Karl Jaspers, and Aaron.
      Franz Rosenzweig, Martin Buber?(Theology)

      Cris

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2001
          Nietzsche is often considered one of the "usual" existentialists, although his
          works are anything but usual. However, his philosophy is highly existential, but
          perhaps in a different way from our "classic" existentialists, say Sartre or Camus.
          Also, I wouldn't lump Kierkegaard in the "maybe" category. Kierkegaard was
          DEFINITELY an existentialist, although I am doubtful about Schopenhauer. (On the
          other hand, both Nietzsche and Sartre studied much of Schopenhauer, and both turned
          out pretty damn existentialist!)

          Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.

          Ciao

          Amber

          Cris <CSP2@...> writes:

          > Hi:
          > I wouldn't consider Nietzsche as an Existentialist. Although very
          > interesting.
          > Maybe Kirkegaard or even Schopenhauer, whom Sartre studied. Philosophy -Also
          > Hannah Arendt, Karl Jaspers, and Aaron.
          > Franz Rosenzweig, Martin Buber?(Theology)
          >
          > Cris

          "I am not an angel," I asserted; "and I will not be one till I die: I
          will be myself...you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of
          me -- for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which
          I do not at all anticipate." -Jane Eyre
          Amber Griffioen
          griffioe@...
          amber_griffs@...