Re: [existlist] essential starting points

  • Cris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
      Hi:
      I noticed that the list is more active.
      How about Saul Bellow?
      Cris
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <Gareb20@...>
      To: <existlist@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 6:20 PM
      Subject: [existlist] essential starting points

      > Hello everybody:
      >
      > Since a lot of members have been asking recently for essential starting
      > points for Existential novels and essays, here is my list. Everybody,
      feel
      > free to put in your opinion or make your own list. That would be great
      for
      > everybody to find new literature they haven't read yet.
      >
      > Camus--The Stranger, The Fall, A Happy Death, The Rebel
      > Sartre--No Exit and other plays, Nausea
      > Nieztche--Thus spoke Zarathustra
      > Kafka--The Castle, The Trial
      > Doestoevsky--Notes From Underground
      >
      > These are some places I would recommend starting out with.
      >
      > Lou
      >

      > From The Exist List...
      > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

    • Cris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
        Hi:
        I wouldn't consider Nietzsche as an Existentialist. Although very
        interesting.
        Maybe Kirkegaard or even Schopenhauer, whom Sartre studied. Philosophy -Also
        Hannah Arendt, Karl Jaspers, and Aaron.
        Franz Rosenzweig, Martin Buber?(Theology)

        Cris

      • Gareb20@aol.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2001
              Nietzsche is often considered one of the "usual" existentialists, although his
              works are anything but usual. However, his philosophy is highly existential, but
              perhaps in a different way from our "classic" existentialists, say Sartre or Camus.
              Also, I wouldn't lump Kierkegaard in the "maybe" category. Kierkegaard was
              DEFINITELY an existentialist, although I am doubtful about Schopenhauer. (On the
              other hand, both Nietzsche and Sartre studied much of Schopenhauer, and both turned
              out pretty damn existentialist!)

              Anyways, that's all I wanted to say.

              Ciao

              Amber

              Cris <CSP2@...> writes:

              > Hi:
              > I wouldn't consider Nietzsche as an Existentialist. Although very
              > interesting.
              > Maybe Kirkegaard or even Schopenhauer, whom Sartre studied. Philosophy -Also
              > Hannah Arendt, Karl Jaspers, and Aaron.
              > Franz Rosenzweig, Martin Buber?(Theology)
              >
              > Cris

              "I am not an angel," I asserted; "and I will not be one till I die: I
              will be myself...you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of
              me -- for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which
              I do not at all anticipate." -Jane Eyre
              Amber Griffioen
              griffioe@...
              amber_griffs@...