Re: [existlist] hello!

  • Amber Leigh Griffioen
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 11, 2001
      Jeff,

      I would encourage starting with "The Myth of Sisyphus," if you want a good look at
      Camus' philosophy. He draws a great picture of the absurd man. Also, if you
      intend to read his novels (e.g. "The Stranger," "The Fall," and my personal
      favorite "The Plague"), you will regonize themes from Myth of Sisyphus in all of
      them. Let me know what you think of it!

      Amber

      P.S. What did you think of Heidigger? I've heard he's difficult to muddle
      through. I've been hoping to read "Sein und Zeit" in German, but even native
      Germans have trouble with his stuff because he makes up so many words (as is easy
      to do in German) and uses them rather ambiguously. How did you like it?

      "Dr.Jeff Hawley" <jeffhawley@...> writes:

      > Christina,
      > I must admit that I have not read much Camus, I am more of a Heidegger or
      > Kierkegaard type of guy...What would you recommend as a good Camus
      > starting-point? I am now a philosophy major, and am quite well-read except
      > for Camus and an occasional Aquinas work I missed...
      > I am not too knowledgable about computer stuff, either-I am not sure how to
      > change e-mail 'stuff'...sorry.
      > Let me know about Camus (and yourself) if you get a chance..
      >
      > Jeff Hawley
      >
      > jeffhawley@...
      >

      > >From The Exist List...
      > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      "I am not an angel," I asserted; "and I will not be one till I die: I
      will be myself...you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of
      me -- for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which
      I do not at all anticipate." -Jane Eyre
      * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Amber Griffioen
      griffioe@...
      amber_griffs@...
      http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs
    • poetcsw
      Message 33 of 33 , May 4, 2003
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Drew" <skindividual@y...> wrote:

        > Why can this not be addressed?
        >

        > Denise

        Anything relating to existentialism or phenomenology can be asked or
        explored for discussion. It is important that discussions not attack
        anyone, regardless of his or her views and/or misunderstandings. If
        another member notices a factual or historical error, a correction
        should be offered politely and with a proper tone.

        Existentialism applies to a broad range of philosophers, not one group
        over any other. Also, educating members should include more than
        telling them what to read -- it should offer an explanation as to why
        a book, play, or essay is of value.

        As an example: I did not see the posts calling Ayn Rand an
        existentialist. I think there was a question about her, and a polite
        explanation of her beliefs would have been in order. She was in
        opposition to Sartre, and a bitter oponent at that. Explaning why and
        how would offer value to the group. Unfortunately, I think the student
        asking the question felt attacked and left to ask me the question
        privately.

        We need to answer things, not attack each other. When a post is
        negative in tone, whatever value it has is lost and ignored. I tend to
        skip most posts that call me a name anywhere in the post, and I think
        most people would do the same.

        As for comments about degrees and what-not: I do not attack the
        credentials of others, though I did point out that formal education
        alone is not the only form of credential. There was no sarcasm or
        dislike in that -- merely a point that everyone here might have
        something of value to add.

        My "existential" education was from a French-born professor who has
        moved to this area. I spent hours at his house in the summers, working
        on books together. That was more valid that any of my university
        courses -- many of which were on the topic, but poorly taught.

        So, those were my points.

        - CSW