Re: [existlist] Information request

  • Anthony Wetherington
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001
      >From: "Suzanne" <suzanne@...>
      >To: <existlist@egroups.com>
      >Subject: [existlist] Information request
      >Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:37:46 -0000
      >
      >Hello everybody,
      >
      >I am just starting to explore existentialism and as the current subject
      >under discussion seems to be books can anyone recommend a good introductory
      >text.
      >
      >Another subject of interest to me is humanism. is there anyone on this list
      >that is a student of both these subjects?
      >
      >Any thoughts gratefully received!
      >
      >Regards,
      >Suzanne

      Hello....
      It is only my opinion, but, the best introductory text for existentialist
      study would be Sartre's 'Being and Nothingness'...
      Again, only my opinion... I could be wrong.

      Tony
    • Laurence Cooper
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2001

        >Hello....
        > It is only my opinion, but, the best introductory text for
        >existentialist
        >study would be Sartre's 'Being and Nothingness'...
        >Again, only my opinion... I could be wrong.
        >
        > Tony

        I'm sure it's very good but is it not a bit long? I was looking for a good
        introductory text and I considered Being and Nothingness but chose instead
        Sartres 'Essays on Existentialism' the first of which, the humanism of
        existentialism, i enjoyed particularly.

        Laurence

      • Laurence Cooper
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2001
          I guess I should have said 'particularly enjoyed', but you know what I mean.
          :)

        • m k
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2001
            I would agree that "Beng and Nothingness" is an excellent work. Also, I
            would recommend to anyone to read "Either/Or" By Kierkergaard.

            Marlene