Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols

  • Gareb20@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
      Tony:

      Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in which
      is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols in
      order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of Kafka,
      I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
      existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
      that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
      perspective of being the dominant culture or race.

      Just some thoughts.

      Lou
    • Anthony Wetherington
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
        I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate
        'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life', yet,
        one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are living"....
        My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
        'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
        "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The oppression'
        is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal
        views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature' in
        this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the
        one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our
        "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very 'oppression'
        of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
        occurances of.

        >From: Gareb20@...
        >To: existlist@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
        >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
        >
        >Tony:
        >
        >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
        >which
        >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols
        >in
        >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
        >Kafka,
        >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
        >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
        >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
        >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
        >
        >Just some thoughts.
        >
        >Lou

      • Praseeda Kunam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
          Are we all "oppressed"?

          I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate

          'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life',
          yet,
          one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are
          living"....
          My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
          'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
          "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The
          oppression'
          is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal

          views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature'
          in
          this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the

          one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our

          "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very
          'oppression'
          of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
          occurances of.

          >From: Gareb20@...
          >To: existlist@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
          >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
          >
          >Tony:
          >
          >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
          >which
          >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong
          symbols
          >in
          >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
          >Kafka,
          >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of
          human
          >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the
          atrocities
          >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
          >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
          >
          >Just some thoughts.
          >
          >Lou

          From The Exist List...
          http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
        • Gareb20@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
            I agree with you on that, just look at Kafka and Sartre. Sartre wrote some
            plays that criticized American racism while Kafka wrote Amerika, poking fun
            at American culture. Let's face, even today, America and the Western Mind is
            looked down upon with disgust at times.

            Lou