Re: [existlist] blah

  • Gareb20@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
      M:

      Damn straight! Nietche depresses the hell out of me! One thing is for sure,
      you can't read too much existential literature all at once because it can
      make you very cynical and very depressed. Especially, the idea of Nihilism.

      Although, Existentialism does offer a light of hope for human improvement.

      Lou
    • m k
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
        Thanks Lou!!

        Yeah, I've had my head in some heavy works this week (Nietche included), and
        on top of that, I just re-read "the Sorrows of Young Werther" by
        Goethe, not necessarily existentialist, but sad, and I picked a bad time to
        re-read it! Existentialism rocks. I just need to space it out better.
        Human improvement=good. :)

        Marlene

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
          Marlene:

          Oh boy sorrows of young Werter, I read that four years ago, how depressing,
          nothing like a love triangle where the hero wants to kill himself throughout
          the whole novel.

          Lou
        • m k
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
            Hey Lou,

            Sorrows was rather sorrowful, indeed. Especially considering I'd just had
            my poor little heart broken. :)

            Marlene

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
              Marlene:

              Well then you could relate to young Werter, just make sure you put the
              pistols out of sight.

              Lou
            • m k
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
                Lou,

                No need to worry! I'm all better! :) I watched Wings of Desire a few times,
                and that fixed me right up.

                Marlene

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
                  Marlene:

                  I'm very happy to hear that! Have fun reading Goethe!

                  Lou
                • Cloviezen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2001
                    To M-

                          Life's not that depressing.  When I read about how bleak life can be
                    sometimes, it just makes me want to make more out of my life.  The way I see
                    it, since there's no afterlife and this is my only time to enjoy myself, I'm
                    going to do what I want and have a lot of fun (while remaining a moral
                    being).  The more other people get bogged down, the more I see what is
                    possible; it's like watching the Jerry Springer show (although I've only seen
                    it twice), doesn't it make you feel better to know how much worse off you
                    could be?  I always say things could be worse-you could be dead!  That is an
                    optimistic view in my case.

                    Shamrock, Clov

                    P.S.  I believe I haven't introduced myself yet to this list, I'm interested
                    in existentialism, and I'd like to understand humanism more.  I welcome any
                    response!
                  • m k
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 16, 2001
                      Thanks Clov!

                      I agree with you about that! I am usually so optimisitc...I was having a
                      bad day, and reading too much "if you rely on people they will always let
                      you down, and if you attatch yourself to someone they will at some point go
                      away, and everything ends at some point, and what does it matter..etc"
                      stuff. :) Feeling better now...

                      Marlene

                      >From: Cloviezen@...
                      >To: existlist@egroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [existlist] blah
                      >Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:46:28 EST
                      >
                      >To M-
                      >
                      > Life's not that depressing. When I read about how bleak life can
                      >be
                      >sometimes, it just makes me want to make more out of my life. The way I
                      >see
                      >it, since there's no afterlife and this is my only time to enjoy myself,
                      >I'm
                      >going to do what I want and have a lot of fun (while remaining a moral
                      >being). The more other people get bogged down, the more I see what is
                      >possible; it's like watching the Jerry Springer show (although I've only
                      >seen
                      >it twice), doesn't it make you feel better to know how much worse off you
                      >could be? I always say things could be worse-you could be dead! That is
                      >an
                      >optimistic view in my case.
                      >
                      >Shamrock, Clov
                      >
                      >P.S. I believe I haven't introduced myself yet to this list, I'm
                      >interested
                      >in existentialism, and I'd like to understand humanism more. I welcome any
                      >response!

                    • OrAgAnOn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2003
                        WORDS EXPRESSING ABSTRACT RELATIONS