blah

  • m k
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
      Hi guys!

      I was wondering if certain existentialist works ever depress anyone. I LOVE
      to read about it, and study it, but damn if it doesn't make me want to cry
      in my coffee sometimes. Anyone share the sentiment?

      ps. I am just feeling blue today...blah. It's cold outside, and I've been
      staring at the computer for far too long..

      :)

      m.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
        M:

        Damn straight! Nietche depresses the hell out of me! One thing is for sure,
        you can't read too much existential literature all at once because it can
        make you very cynical and very depressed. Especially, the idea of Nihilism.

        Although, Existentialism does offer a light of hope for human improvement.

        Lou
      • m k
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
          Thanks Lou!!

          Yeah, I've had my head in some heavy works this week (Nietche included), and
          on top of that, I just re-read "the Sorrows of Young Werther" by
          Goethe, not necessarily existentialist, but sad, and I picked a bad time to
          re-read it! Existentialism rocks. I just need to space it out better.
          Human improvement=good. :)

          Marlene

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
            Marlene:

            Oh boy sorrows of young Werter, I read that four years ago, how depressing,
            nothing like a love triangle where the hero wants to kill himself throughout
            the whole novel.

            Lou
          • m k
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
              Hey Lou,

              Sorrows was rather sorrowful, indeed. Especially considering I'd just had
              my poor little heart broken. :)

              Marlene

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
                Marlene:

                Well then you could relate to young Werter, just make sure you put the
                pistols out of sight.

                Lou
              • m k
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
                  Lou,

                  No need to worry! I'm all better! :) I watched Wings of Desire a few times,
                  and that fixed me right up.

                  Marlene

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2001
                    Marlene:

                    I'm very happy to hear that! Have fun reading Goethe!

                    Lou
                  • Cloviezen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14, 2001
                      To M-

                            Life's not that depressing.  When I read about how bleak life can be
                      sometimes, it just makes me want to make more out of my life.  The way I see
                      it, since there's no afterlife and this is my only time to enjoy myself, I'm
                      going to do what I want and have a lot of fun (while remaining a moral
                      being).  The more other people get bogged down, the more I see what is
                      possible; it's like watching the Jerry Springer show (although I've only seen
                      it twice), doesn't it make you feel better to know how much worse off you
                      could be?  I always say things could be worse-you could be dead!  That is an
                      optimistic view in my case.

                      Shamrock, Clov

                      P.S.  I believe I haven't introduced myself yet to this list, I'm interested
                      in existentialism, and I'd like to understand humanism more.  I welcome any
                      response!
                    • m k
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 16, 2001
                        Thanks Clov!

                        I agree with you about that! I am usually so optimisitc...I was having a
                        bad day, and reading too much "if you rely on people they will always let
                        you down, and if you attatch yourself to someone they will at some point go
                        away, and everything ends at some point, and what does it matter..etc"
                        stuff. :) Feeling better now...

                        Marlene

                        >From: Cloviezen@...
                        >To: existlist@egroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [existlist] blah
                        >Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:46:28 EST
                        >
                        >To M-
                        >
                        > Life's not that depressing. When I read about how bleak life can
                        >be
                        >sometimes, it just makes me want to make more out of my life. The way I
                        >see
                        >it, since there's no afterlife and this is my only time to enjoy myself,
                        >I'm
                        >going to do what I want and have a lot of fun (while remaining a moral
                        >being). The more other people get bogged down, the more I see what is
                        >possible; it's like watching the Jerry Springer show (although I've only
                        >seen
                        >it twice), doesn't it make you feel better to know how much worse off you
                        >could be? I always say things could be worse-you could be dead! That is
                        >an
                        >optimistic view in my case.
                        >
                        >Shamrock, Clov
                        >
                        >P.S. I believe I haven't introduced myself yet to this list, I'm
                        >interested
                        >in existentialism, and I'd like to understand humanism more. I welcome any
                        >response!

                      • OrAgAnOn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 14, 2003
                          WORDS EXPRESSING ABSTRACT RELATIONS