Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols

  • Anthony Wetherington
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
      I haven't read much Kafka literature, though, I must agree it is full of
      symbolism.... in my opinion so full of it that the whole is comprised of
      more symbolism than anything else. Although, I can agree, to a point, that
      existentialism is a primarily symbolic form of philosophy, phsycology,
      living, there must be a tangibility. A tangibility based on objectivism.
      To understand one's existence, one must understand one's in-existence, or
      non-existence, a viewpoint which requires a certain degree of objectivism
      Kafka lacks, in my opinion, due to his faith based emotions of persecution.
      These emotions are reinforced by his religious affiliation with other
      individuals of the same faith. This in turn can cloud an individual's
      judgement, or lack thereof. However, this is an existentialist fundamental
      which must be learned to aid in one's own personal expansion of reality.
      Anyway, just my opinion, I could be wrong.....
      I welcome and await any comments or rebuttals,
      Tony

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
        Tony:

        Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in which
        is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols in
        order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of Kafka,
        I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
        existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
        that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
        perspective of being the dominant culture or race.

        Just some thoughts.

        Lou
      • Anthony Wetherington
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
          I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate
          'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life', yet,
          one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are living"....
          My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
          'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
          "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The oppression'
          is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal
          views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature' in
          this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the
          one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our
          "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very 'oppression'
          of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
          occurances of.

          >From: Gareb20@...
          >To: existlist@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
          >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
          >
          >Tony:
          >
          >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
          >which
          >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols
          >in
          >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
          >Kafka,
          >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
          >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
          >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
          >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
          >
          >Just some thoughts.
          >
          >Lou

        • Praseeda Kunam
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
            Are we all "oppressed"?

            I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate

            'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life',
            yet,
            one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are
            living"....
            My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
            'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
            "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The
            oppression'
            is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal

            views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature'
            in
            this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the

            one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our

            "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very
            'oppression'
            of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
            occurances of.

            >From: Gareb20@...
            >To: existlist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
            >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
            >
            >Tony:
            >
            >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
            >which
            >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong
            symbols
            >in
            >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
            >Kafka,
            >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of
            human
            >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the
            atrocities
            >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
            >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
            >
            >Just some thoughts.
            >
            >Lou

            From The Exist List...
            http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
          • Gareb20@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
              I agree with you on that, just look at Kafka and Sartre. Sartre wrote some
              plays that criticized American racism while Kafka wrote Amerika, poking fun
              at American culture. Let's face, even today, America and the Western Mind is
              looked down upon with disgust at times.

              Lou