Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols

  • WiLDAeSthEtiCs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
      Aja
    • Anthony Wetherington
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
        I haven't read much Kafka literature, though, I must agree it is full of
        symbolism.... in my opinion so full of it that the whole is comprised of
        more symbolism than anything else. Although, I can agree, to a point, that
        existentialism is a primarily symbolic form of philosophy, phsycology,
        living, there must be a tangibility. A tangibility based on objectivism.
        To understand one's existence, one must understand one's in-existence, or
        non-existence, a viewpoint which requires a certain degree of objectivism
        Kafka lacks, in my opinion, due to his faith based emotions of persecution.
        These emotions are reinforced by his religious affiliation with other
        individuals of the same faith. This in turn can cloud an individual's
        judgement, or lack thereof. However, this is an existentialist fundamental
        which must be learned to aid in one's own personal expansion of reality.
        Anyway, just my opinion, I could be wrong.....
        I welcome and await any comments or rebuttals,
        Tony

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
          Tony:

          Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in which
          is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols in
          order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of Kafka,
          I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
          existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
          that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
          perspective of being the dominant culture or race.

          Just some thoughts.

          Lou
        • Anthony Wetherington
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
            I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate
            'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life', yet,
            one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are living"....
            My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
            'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
            "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The oppression'
            is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal
            views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature' in
            this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the
            one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our
            "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very 'oppression'
            of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
            occurances of.

            >From: Gareb20@...
            >To: existlist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
            >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
            >
            >Tony:
            >
            >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
            >which
            >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong symbols
            >in
            >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
            >Kafka,
            >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of human
            >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the atrocities
            >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
            >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
            >
            >Just some thoughts.
            >
            >Lou

          • Praseeda Kunam
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
              Are we all "oppressed"?

              I agree with you comepletely. In order to, how should I say, appreciate

              'the good' one need 'experience' and 'appreciate' 'the bad' in 'life',
              yet,
              one msun't "commune so long with the dead, that we forget we are
              living"....
              My criticizm of Kafka lies in the fact that he has the 'American' or
              'Western' tendency to over-emphasize the atrocities or affronts against
              "himself" and/or "his people" i.e. the Judaistic plight. 'The
              oppression'
              is not centrally anti-semite. We are all 'oppressed' and in my personal

              views of existetialist philosophy, at 'odds against ourselves in Nature'
              in
              this thing we choose or choose not to call "Life". When we dwell on the

              one-sidedness of our "existence" it takes away from the 'essence' of our

              "being" in turn causing ourselves to be advocates of the very
              'oppression'
              of which we are so concerned with eradicating and preventing future
              occurances of.

              >From: Gareb20@...
              >To: existlist@egroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [existlist] Re: Hello everybody --Kafka's symbols
              >Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:55:04 EST
              >
              >Tony:
              >
              >Although Existentialism is not very symbolic itself, the literature in
              >which
              >is the catalyst for existentialism obviously needs to hold strong
              symbols
              >in
              >order for the reader to relate to the ideas and concepts. In terms of
              >Kafka,
              >I think his ethnicity or religion does not cloud his perceptions of
              human
              >existence within the context of society, but greatly defines the
              atrocities
              >that the mainstream public cannot percieve becuase of their clouded
              >perspective of being the dominant culture or race.
              >
              >Just some thoughts.
              >
              >Lou

              From The Exist List...
              http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
            • Gareb20@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
                I agree with you on that, just look at Kafka and Sartre. Sartre wrote some
                plays that criticized American racism while Kafka wrote Amerika, poking fun
                at American culture. Let's face, even today, America and the Western Mind is
                looked down upon with disgust at times.

                Lou