RE: [existlist] The Beginning

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 2, 2002
      Charles,

      that is all well and good. But where does the
      giant octopus come from?? I am watching it now on
      Space channel. It is attacking San Francisco
      harbour. Oh so terrible .. will they ever be
      able to defeat it???

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2, 2002
      • Bill Harris
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
          Eduard, The octopus came from the agrichem slime in the Des Moines river.
          Did you know that eighty % of the cost of environmental protective measures
          put into effect by farmers will be paid for by the Feds under the new farm
          bill?
          The biggest insurance man in Des Moines just pledged a ton of money to a
          friends company that eradicates hog odor. It is a hopeful sign. He bets
          producers will come into compliance voluntarily at a 20% cost. I hope he is
          right. What if each ten thousand hog containment had IT`s own sewage
          treatment facility? What would the effect be on pork prices? Is this the
          right way to go? Or will the octopus eat us all? More to come, Bill
          > that is all well and good. But where does the
          > giant octopus come from?? I am watching it now on
          > Space channel. It is attacking San Francisco
          > harbour. Oh so terrible .. will they ever be
          > able to defeat it???
          >
          > eduard

        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
            Bill,

            We should stop eating pork. It is time that the
            public took some responsibility.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
              Eduard, Pork is only one crushing cog on the wheel of HyperAg. Bill
              > We should stop eating pork. It is time that the
              > public took some responsibility.
              >
              > eduard

            • Eduard Alf
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 3, 2002
                Bill,

                We have to start somewhere .... oops .. I think I
                had a pork sausage at my girlfriends an hour ago
                ... I will do better tomorrow ...

                Eduard, Pork is only one crushing cog on the wheel
                of HyperAg. Bill
              • nick a
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                  What is wrong with pork? Does it have a funny smell? How different is its
                  chemical makeup from beef?

                  hmmmm... Pork.

                  > We should stop eating pork. It is time that the
                  > public took some responsibility.
                  >
                  > eduard

                • Eduard Alf
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Nick,

                    You are coming late into this discussion. Bill's
                    concern is the huge pig farms in Iowa that are
                    producing pollution in streams and rivers. It is
                    not the odor of the meat itself, but of the
                    sewage.

                    But the raising of cattle for beef produces
                    similar problems. Perhaps we should stop eating
                    beef as well. Afterall, the promotion of eating
                    beef was one of the side affects of WW2. We are
                    being convinced that eating beef [a la MacDonalds]
                    is something that will make us feel good
                    emotionally. Buy a hamburger combo and you will
                    get a neat Disney character cup for free.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Eduard, No doubt to your endless boredom, you know of my concern for the
                      ecology of the Midwest. I am not a tree hugger and I realize this area has
                      seen multiple manifestations of ecodiversity . This area has been ocean
                      floor, it has been glaciated, it has been forested and it has been plain and
                      will probably be all and more again. Our poisonous ways will be remedied in
                      time. The present levels of toxicity are my concern. The head of our water
                      treatment works was on TV and reassured the people that even though the
                      nitrate levels in the river are 100 times the maximum federal guidelines his
                      multi-million treatment facility can purify the water to the place where
                      all but infants can drink it. That's great except 40 miles downstream is a
                      town with no such facility. Same river, same water. Bill
                      > We have to start somewhere .... oops .. I think I
                      > had a pork sausage at my girlfriends an hour ago
                      > ... I will do better tomorrow ...
                      >
                      > eduard

                    • Bill Harris
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Nick, I have no particular beef with pork, it is good food. In fact this
                        weekend I will be at the National Pork Congressl. I want to see what
                        progress has been made in producing a good product with less ecological
                        damage. Giant hog lots are a nightmare, both to the people in the area and
                        to the hogs themselves. Solid and liquid wastes overwhelm the local
                        ecosystems, kill rivers for miles downstream, pollute soils and even
                        contaminate deep water supplies. The stench is unbearable and the flies
                        multiply uncontrollably.
                        Agribusiness owns the legislatures of low population states like Iowa. On
                        the federal level cheap food is the bottom line. For the short term, giant
                        hog lots are economically advantageous. Again it is money over the
                        environment.
                        Cattle confinements are a similar problem , while fence row to fence row
                        chemical agriculture is a giant polluter with nitrates, phosphates and
                        other herbicide and pesticide residues destroy soil and water ecology.
                        Atrazine alone is wiping out frogs , a marker species for water
                        contamination.
                        The political process is castrated in regards to these disasters. About all
                        we can do is let you on the outside know what is going on. Bill
                        > What is wrong with pork? Does it have a funny smell? How different is its
                        > chemical makeup from beef?
                        >
                        > hmmmm... Pork.

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • adam robertson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                          I agree with you eduard, i sometimes sit in a local mcdonalds just to watch
                          the interaction of people with food/behaviour. What a vicious cycle parents
                          start when satiating their childs crying with pop and french fries. So
                          cheap and fast is that emotional uplifting. Too bad this sort of habitualism
                          is a driect result of the many ills we face in this society, from depression
                          to heart disease. As a child i remember a man who was removed by authorites
                          from this one mc donalds; he was preaching to the people and staff as to the
                          dangers of this type of diet. Everyone seemed disgusted at him for intruding
                          on their makeshift reality, and maybe rightly so, but i believe we need more
                          of him, this world has to wake up!

                          Adam

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                            The best way to protest our fast food, consume to survive culture is to not
                            take part in it. I haven't eaten meat in 5 years and I haven't eaten any
                            animal products (eggs, milk, gelatin, whey, mono and diglycerides etc.) in
                            about 4 and a half years. So, just so you know, it's not that difficult.
                            Damien
                          • greg goodwin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                              Damien,
                              Just asking, but do you feel you have gained through
                              this life change??
                              Health wise do you feel/see any benefit to life free
                              from meat or meatproduct??
                              Had you done this as a study you may have some data
                              that more would be interested in.
                              GG
                              --- damiensscreename@... wrote:
                              > The best way to protest our fast food, consume to
                              > survive culture is to not
                              > take part in it. I haven't eaten meat in 5 years
                              > and I haven't eaten any
                              > animal products (eggs, milk, gelatin, whey, mono and
                              > diglycerides etc.) in
                              > about 4 and a half years. So, just so you know,
                              > it's not that difficult.
                              > Damien

                              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                            • Eduard Alf
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                Adam,

                                Such things occur for all sorts of things that we
                                consume. There is a commercial from Speedy Glass.
                                A father encounters his two boys [one who is
                                perhaps 12 and the other about 4] who are playing
                                catch with a baseball. The younger one isn't too
                                good at catching. The father says, "I know what's
                                wrong". He picks up the little boy and places him
                                under a large window of the house. It is a window
                                made up of three vertical panes, each perhaps 2
                                feet wide and 4 feet high. Then he goes to the
                                older boy and says to him, "Lets try the curve
                                ball", or something like that. The obvious
                                objective is to break the window so that Speedy
                                Glass can repair it. I am not sure, but I think
                                that there are Air Miles or something as an
                                incentive. The whole thing is stupid, but shows
                                our priorities. Surely someone must realise that
                                the little boy is going to be showered with glass.
                                Of course there is a small note at the bottom of
                                the TV screen which states, "Speedy Glass does not
                                promote the breaking of glass". Like, Hello ...
                                what is this commercial about.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                  Damien,

                                  That is interesting to know. But where do you get
                                  your protein??

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                    is that an american commercial
                                    adam

                                    >From: "Eduard Alf" <yeoman@...>
                                    >To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
                                    >Subject: RE: [existlist] The Beginning
                                    >Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:47:33 -0400
                                    >
                                    >Adam,
                                    >
                                    >Such things occur for all sorts of things that we
                                    >consume. There is a commercial from Speedy Glass.
                                    >A father encounters his two boys [one who is
                                    >perhaps 12 and the other about 4] who are playing
                                    >catch with a baseball. The younger one isn't too
                                    >good at catching. The father says, "I know what's
                                    >wrong". He picks up the little boy and places him
                                    >under a large window of the house. It is a window
                                    >made up of three vertical panes, each perhaps 2
                                    >feet wide and 4 feet high. Then he goes to the
                                    >older boy and says to him, "Lets try the curve
                                    >ball", or something like that. The obvious
                                    >objective is to break the window so that Speedy
                                    >Glass can repair it. I am not sure, but I think
                                    >that there are Air Miles or something as an
                                    >incentive. The whole thing is stupid, but shows
                                    >our priorities. Surely someone must realise that
                                    >the little boy is going to be showered with glass.
                                    >Of course there is a small note at the bottom of
                                    >the TV screen which states, "Speedy Glass does not
                                    >promote the breaking of glass". Like, Hello ...
                                    >what is this commercial about.
                                    >
                                    >eduard

                                  • Eduard Alf
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                      Adam,

                                      I don't know if the commercial is shown in the US,
                                      but it is a US firm ...

                                      http://www.windshields.com/

                                      >Such things occur for all sorts of things that we
                                      >consume. There is a commercial from Speedy Glass.
                                      >A father encounters his two boys [one who is
                                      >perhaps 12 and the other about 4] who are playing
                                      >catch with a baseball. The younger one isn't too
                                      >good at catching. The father says, "I know
                                      what's
                                      >wrong". He picks up the little boy and places
                                      him
                                      >under a large window of the house. It is a
                                      window
                                      >made up of three vertical panes, each perhaps 2
                                      >feet wide and 4 feet high. Then he goes to the
                                      >older boy and says to him, "Lets try the curve
                                      >ball", or something like that. The obvious
                                      >objective is to break the window so that Speedy
                                      >Glass can repair it. I am not sure, but I think
                                      >that there are Air Miles or something as an
                                      >incentive. The whole thing is stupid, but shows
                                      >our priorities. Surely someone must realise that
                                      >the little boy is going to be showered with
                                      glass.
                                      >Of course there is a small note at the bottom of
                                      >the TV screen which states, "Speedy Glass does
                                      not
                                      >promote the breaking of glass". Like, Hello ...
                                      >what is this commercial about.
                                      >
                                      >eduard
                                    • adam robertson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                        well i bodybuild, so how do i work around that, when im in constant need of
                                        a protein source.
                                        Adam

                                      • damiensscreename@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                          Maybe not everyone is perfect for a vegan diet. I do know some people who
                                          are vegan that bodybuild, but they take supplements like creatine and things
                                          like that. If you're interested in health, then eating meat is a lot
                                          healthier than creatine. As far as protein gos for my needs I am more than
                                          satisfied eating soy, beans, wheat gluten (also called wheat meat) and other
                                          things. In fact most people get too much protein. As a vegan it's very
                                          simple to get enough protein, the things you have to make sure you are
                                          getting enough of are calcium, iron and vitamin B12 which can all be included
                                          as long as you eat a variety of things. I haven't really noticed any health
                                          changes for better or worse although I have been told that a vegan diet is
                                          better for the immune system. I do feel much better as a person though,
                                          being vegan for me is not so much a challenge but something to keep me
                                          interested. It doesn't hinder me at all, in fact I love being vegan. If you
                                          have any questions about it feel free to ask.
                                          Damien
                                        • Eduard Alf
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 4, 2002
                                            Damien,

                                            thankyou for the info. I shall have to do some
                                            reading first and then perhaps get back to the
                                            subject. I can see the need to get off meat,
                                            considering all the stuff they throw into it
                                            now-a-days.