Re: [existlist] Religion

  • kadri amir ali
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hundreds of such examples could be cited where the
      wars were waged by the priests that were long, bitter
      and cruel.
      What priests done?
      They made woman a slave. They taught that a nun was
      purer, nobler, holier than a mother--inducing young
      girls to renounce the blessings of a family life.
      They were the enemies of art, literature, philosophy
      and science.
      They established asylums for the insame, as they
      claimed. But, the record tells us that the insane were
      treated as criminals--chained, flogged, starved and
      killed.
      It is just a panaromic view, and they did it because
      they were either ill-educated or ignorant of the facts
      or both.
      It is equally true for the priests of all religions.
      It is the science, art, literature and philosophy
      where one finds direction as well as salvation.
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 15, 2005
        As existentialists which faith may we argue is the more valid? Can any
        proposed God be an existentialist concern? The existentialist's area
        of concern regarding God can only be the effect of the God-idea on the
        individual existentialist and on other human beings, not the
        validation or invalidation of the God-idea. We may only comment on the
        produced historical effect. The gulf of time between Pythagoreus and
        Einstein exceeds any logical probability construct. The gulf of time
        between Babylonian astronomy and Gallileo is even greater. This cycle
        of dormancy in the human development of a cosmological view must have
        a cause.There is only one arguable cause: murderous and mind-numbing
        religion collectively enforced.In some ways this is a good historical
        argument for the need of an active God: in that left to our own
        devices we invent authority over the unknown and enforce it upon
        ourselves to our detriment.Throughout human history God-ideas have
        dragged against any change in human cosmological view. How big will
        the next gulf be? We have the capacity to make ourselves wait long
        enough to forget what we were afraid of.

        tc