just some thoughts

  • Gareb20@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2001
      Hello everybody:

      I was wondering if anybody out there has read Colin Wilson's The Outsider
      since that is the next piece of literature I will be reading. I've heard
      some good things about this contemporary existential novel, however, I would
      like some feedback from you. I was just wondering if this was good reading
      or just a cheap rip-off.

      I also finished reading Arthur Miller's The Crucible in preparation to teach
      it this semester to a group of Juniors in high school. All I can say is that
      Proctor is a great existential hero and Miller nicely incorporates some
      existential messages in his play. Great stuff.

      ok thanks for all your input.

      Lou
    • Dragon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          a lot of thought, a lot of everything... i've been rushing through all the posts of previous days and there has been quite a number of them... can't remember all... someone mentioned Fowles... i really like his books, although i've read only two of them. and i can't really understand why i liked The Magus and The Collector (i don't really know the original english name of this book but i hope it is The Collector), cause those books are sick... a chance to read sick man's thoughts (i mean The Collector), thoughts of a maniac... but then - i've always liked sick things... books... there is something - that dark side which i experience through reading them... although those are very hard to read - also some of Dostoyevsky works... Crime and Punishment... why people have attraction towards such books? why i do? i'm not quite sure... maybe it's just something that i don't experience in everyday life, so i must fill my desire for diverse emotions. i dont' know... read somewhere that if
          Dostyevsky wouldn't be a writer, he'd be a serial killer... is fantasy enough? sometimes it is i guess...

          people with wild fantasy - aren't those usually the ones who are the weakest in works?

          sometimes i wonder if relation between a writer who writes about sick things and a person who reads it aren't similar of a sadist-masochist relation? ... after some while it is not the content of the book that stays in my mind, it's the emotions... i think that in my soul i'm a pretty positive person, so i keep wondering... why do i read such things? maybe after all a person can't live only on "good" things... maybe the "bad" isn't so "bad" afterall...

          Amanda