Re: [existlist] the metamorphosis

  • jeremy mcleod
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2001
          i have read the metamorphosis, although this was several years ago.  i'm not sure kafka was a self-defined existentialist, as much as there happen to be certain existential motifs appearing throughout his texts (worth noting that i have read a very limited selection of his work - the judgement and before the law ); i am hesitant to offer any examples, as my familiarity w/ existentialism is of the most narrow sort.  if i remember correctly, gregor samsa adopts a somewhat apathetic attitude towards his predicament, as he simply resides himself to being in a state of powerlessness.  would this be an example of an existential motif?
          any feed back would be appreciated.

      jeremy

      I didn't know Kafka was an existentialist until recently.  I've read The
      Metamorphisis.... if anyone else has, and sees some symbolism/hints @
      existentialism, I'd love to hear it.