Re: [existlist] Hello everybody

  • m k
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
      Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works! As well as The
      Stranger. cool. :)

      >From: Gareb20@...
      >To: existlist@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
      >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
      >
      >Hey:
      >
      >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
      >great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the
      >themes
      >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
      >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
      >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
      >think
      >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
      >classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
      >learn
      >Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my
      >life.
      >
      >Lou

    • jeremy mcleod
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
        hello, third year eng. major, a little uncertain as to how i ended up on this listerve, but non-the-less very interested in participating in the discussions.

        jeremy
        Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works!  As well as The
        Stranger.  cool.  :)

        >From: Gareb20@...
        >To: existlist@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
        >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
        >
        >Hey:
        >
        >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
        >great short piece of literature.  I think it's important to apply the
        >themes
        >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
        >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
        >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
        >think
        >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
        >classics.  I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
        >learn
        >Camus' The Stranger my senior year.  That experience really changed my
        >life.
        >
        >Lou

        >From The Exist List...
        http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      • Jessica .
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
          I didn't know Kafka was an existentialist until recently. I've read The
          Metamorphisis.... if anyone else has, and sees some symbolism/hints @
          existentialism, I'd love to hear it.