Re: [existlist] Hello everybody

  • Gareb20@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hey:

      Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is a
      great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the themes
      of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
      the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
      since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools think
      existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
      classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to learn
      Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my life.

      Lou
    • m k
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
        Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works! As well as The
        Stranger. cool. :)

        >From: Gareb20@...
        >To: existlist@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
        >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
        >
        >Hey:
        >
        >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
        >great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the
        >themes
        >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
        >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
        >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
        >think
        >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
        >classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
        >learn
        >Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my
        >life.
        >
        >Lou

      • jeremy mcleod
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
          hello, third year eng. major, a little uncertain as to how i ended up on this listerve, but non-the-less very interested in participating in the discussions.

          jeremy
          Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works!  As well as The
          Stranger.  cool.  :)

          >From: Gareb20@...
          >To: existlist@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
          >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
          >
          >Hey:
          >
          >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
          >great short piece of literature.  I think it's important to apply the
          >themes
          >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
          >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
          >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
          >think
          >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
          >classics.  I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
          >learn
          >Camus' The Stranger my senior year.  That experience really changed my
          >life.
          >
          >Lou

          >From The Exist List...
          http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

        • Jessica .
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
            I didn't know Kafka was an existentialist until recently. I've read The
            Metamorphisis.... if anyone else has, and sees some symbolism/hints @
            existentialism, I'd love to hear it.