Re: [existlist] Hello everybody

  • m k
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
      Welcome to the group! Existentialism is facinating, and wonderful. My
      favorite authors include: Goethe, Doestoevsky, Kant, Camus, and Sartre. I
      think it's great that you are going to be a teacher...

      :)

      m.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
        Hey:

        Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is a
        great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the themes
        of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
        the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
        since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools think
        existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
        classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to learn
        Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my life.

        Lou
      • m k
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
          Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works! As well as The
          Stranger. cool. :)

          >From: Gareb20@...
          >To: existlist@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
          >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
          >
          >Hey:
          >
          >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
          >great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the
          >themes
          >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
          >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
          >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
          >think
          >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
          >classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
          >learn
          >Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my
          >life.
          >
          >Lou

        • jeremy mcleod
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
            hello, third year eng. major, a little uncertain as to how i ended up on this listerve, but non-the-less very interested in participating in the discussions.

            jeremy
            Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works!  As well as The
            Stranger.  cool.  :)

            >From: Gareb20@...
            >To: existlist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
            >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
            >
            >Hey:
            >
            >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
            >great short piece of literature.  I think it's important to apply the
            >themes
            >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
            >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
            >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
            >think
            >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
            >classics.  I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
            >learn
            >Camus' The Stranger my senior year.  That experience really changed my
            >life.
            >
            >Lou

            >From The Exist List...
            http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

          • Jessica .
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
              I didn't know Kafka was an existentialist until recently. I've read The
              Metamorphisis.... if anyone else has, and sees some symbolism/hints @
              existentialism, I'd love to hear it.