Re: [existlist] Hello everybody

  • isaac quimby
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
      hello... i am currently becoming very interested in
      existentialism as well... i just purchased the basic
      writings of nietzsche... i have taken a lot of his
      statements to heart because they reflect my own
      perspectives... well that is all i have to say for
      now... peace... *

      --- Gareb20@... wrote:
      > Hello everybody:
      >
      > I am brand new to this mailing list and I just
      > wanted to introduce myself. I
      > have been interested and captivated by
      > existentialism and the existential
      > authors for about five years now. I am currently
      > ready to graduate from
      > college and enter the real world as an English
      > teacher, so literature is a
      > huge part of my life. I have been influenced
      > heavily by Camus, Sartre, Kafka
      > among others. I'm very excited to talk to everybody
      > on the list.
      >
      > For now, goodnight.
      >
      > Luigi

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • m k
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
        Welcome to the group! Existentialism is facinating, and wonderful. My
        favorite authors include: Goethe, Doestoevsky, Kant, Camus, and Sartre. I
        think it's great that you are going to be a teacher...

        :)

        m.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
          Hey:

          Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is a
          great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the themes
          of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
          the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
          since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools think
          existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
          classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to learn
          Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my life.

          Lou
        • m k
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
            Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works! As well as The
            Stranger. cool. :)

            >From: Gareb20@...
            >To: existlist@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
            >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
            >
            >Hey:
            >
            >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
            >great short piece of literature. I think it's important to apply the
            >themes
            >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
            >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
            >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
            >think
            >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
            >classics. I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
            >learn
            >Camus' The Stranger my senior year. That experience really changed my
            >life.
            >
            >Lou

          • jeremy mcleod
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
              hello, third year eng. major, a little uncertain as to how i ended up on this listerve, but non-the-less very interested in participating in the discussions.

              jeremy
              Notes from Underground is one of my favorite works!  As well as The
              Stranger.  cool.  :)

              >From: Gareb20@...
              >To: existlist@egroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [existlist] Hello everybody
              >Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:25:49 EST
              >
              >Hey:
              >
              >Yeah right now I'm reading Notes from Underground by Doestoevsky, which is
              >great short piece of literature.  I think it's important to apply the
              >themes
              >of individualism and the role of fact vs value or individual vs society in
              >the classroom, although it's hard to teach existential authors or novels
              >since some schools have very conservative curriculums (and most schools
              >think
              >existential literature is extreme for young kids) that just stick to the
              >classics.  I was lucky enough to be in a more democratic high school to
              >learn
              >Camus' The Stranger my senior year.  That experience really changed my
              >life.
              >
              >Lou

              >From The Exist List...
              http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

            • Jessica .
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
                I didn't know Kafka was an existentialist until recently. I've read The
                Metamorphisis.... if anyone else has, and sees some symbolism/hints @
                existentialism, I'd love to hear it.