Janus Head

  • Brent Robbins
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 22, 2000
      JANUS HEAD NEWSLETTER OCTOBER 2000

      The editors of Janus Head are pleased to announce that Janus Head
      3.2, the Fall 2000 issue, is now available on-line:
      http://www.janushead.org

      Contents of the new issue include:

      Alphonso Lingis' *The Dreadful Mystic Banquet*:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/lingis.cfm

      Robert Romanyshyn's *Psychology is Useless*:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/romanyshyn.cfm

      Frank Edler's Part III Heidegger-Baeumler series:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/edler.cfm

      Mark D. Tschaepe's *Foucault's Dream*:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/tschaepe.cfm

      A.W. Metcalfe's *Doorways*:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/metcalfe.cfm

      Plus poetry by:
      Kristine Chalifoux, Paul Breslin, Luisa Villani, Peter Junker, David
      Allen, Mary K. Stillwell, and Claire Cowan-Barbetti:
      www.janushead.org

      Art by Els van Asten:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/asten.cfm

      and book reviews:
      www.janushead.org/3-2/reviews.cfm

      Let us know what you think of the new issue!
      Cultivate Janus Head by answering our brief
      on-line questionnaire:
      http://www.janushead.org/jhquest1.cfm

      Janus Head News:

      Janus Head will be publishing a special issue
      in Winter 2000, which will feature the proceedings
      of the Human Science Conference at George
      Washington University:
      "Rethinking the Human Sciences:
      Interdisciplinary Studies, Global Education, and
      the Languages of Criticism."
      The Keynote speaker is Cary Nelson, Professor of
      English and Jubilee Professor of Liberal Arts and
      Sciences at the University of Illinois at
      Urbana-Champaign. Visit the website at:

      http://www.gwu.edu/~global/

      The next issue of Janus Head, 4.1, will be due out
      in Spring 2001. Janus Head 4.1 will be a special
      issue on the life and work of psychiatrist
      R. D. Laing, guest edited by Daniel Burston.
      Check out the current call for papers at:
      www.janushead.org/cfplaing.cfm

      Janus Head is reviewing books for feature issues.
      If you wish to review a book for publication in
      Janus Head, contact the Janus Head editors at
      editors@....

      Janus Head is seeking advertisers for future issues
      of the hard copy and on-line additions. For advertising
      rates:
      http://www.janushead.org/adrates.cfm

      To subscribe on-line to the hard copy version of
      Janus Head, use the on-line form:
      http://www.janushead.org/subscribe.cfm

      For news of upcoming conferences and events, see:
      http://www.janushead.org/events.cfm

      We thank you for your support of the Janus Head project.

      Best wishes,
      Victor Barbetti
      Claire Cowan-Barbetti
      Brent Dean Robbins
      Editors, Janus Head

      Janus Head:
      http://www.janushead.org
    • bdeanrob@sgi.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
        Dear Eduard,

        I'm happy to address your question. As some of you may or may not
        know, Ronnie Laing was one of the most prominent
        existential/phenomenological psychologists of the 20th century.
        In the 1960's, his book *The Divided Self* sold millions of
        copies, and his reportoire of work, including titles such as
        *Self and Others* and *The Politics of Experience*, was directly
        influenced by existential thinkers such as Heidegger, Sartre, and
        Buber, as well as critical theory.

        The guest editor, Daniel Burston, has written two books on Laing,
        and the contributors to the volume largely consists of authors
        who knew and worked with Laing during his lifetime.

        In short, I would think that many of you on this list would enjoy
        reading this special issue of Janus Head.

        Best wishes,
        Brent

        > Message: 1

        > Brent,
        >
        > could you please provide a few point as to why this Jason Head information
        > should be of interest to us in this existentialism group ...
        >
        > thankyou
        >
        > eduard
      • Edward Alf
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
          Brent,

          thankyou for that note ... i will go to your recommended sites with more
          interest and perhaps i will find his book ....

          > I'm happy to address your question. As some of you may or may not
          > know, Ronnie Laing was one of the most prominent
          > existential/phenomenological psychologists of the 20th century.
          > In the 1960's, his book *The Divided Self* sold millions of
          > copies, and his reportoire of work, including titles such as
          > *Self and Others* and *The Politics of Experience*, was directly
          > influenced by existential thinkers such as Heidegger, Sartre, and
          > Buber, as well as critical theory.
          >
          > The guest editor, Daniel Burston, has written two books on Laing,
          > and the contributors to the volume largely consists of authors
          > who knew and worked with Laing during his lifetime.
          >
          > In short, I would think that many of you on this list would enjoy
          > reading this special issue of Janus Head.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Brent
        • Lusa the Great
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
            unsubscribe yeah? tanks!
            --- Edward Alf <ealf@...> wrote:
            > Brent,
            >
            > thankyou for that note ... i will go to your recommended sites with
            > more
            > interest and perhaps i will find his book ....
            >
            > eduard

            =====

            Miss-ouri lent Mississi-ippi her New Jersey. What did
            Dela-ware...? Da-kota!

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • ennui
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
              Hi all, I am a lurker in the most extreme sense of the term. Yet I
              *despise* when a list becomes bogged down in a wash of "Pleaz
              unscrub me, I'm un complate moron" messages.

              So Moderator, if you're out there, please do this person a favour.
              Else Lusa, you might want to follow the instructions available at
              the bottom of every message you receive:

              To all else; thankyou for your continuing good-humoured and
              fascinating conversation, which lands in my inbox each day.

              ennui [readabookortalk-to-amouse]
            • Linda Jordan
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                Right on, ennui. Appreciate someone finally saying something. Does anyone
                out there believe in the existence of human nature?

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                  hi Linda,

                  im not sure what your question is ... one could assume that human nature
                  exists, since humans exist ... or perhaps you are asking if we are aware
                  what human nature is ...

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                    Lusa should now be gone...

                    I sometimes ponder why people need so much help. Personal responsibility
                    seems to be a good topic for discussion. As a retail store owner, I'm amazed
                    by people on a daily basis.

                    - C. S. Wyatt
                    http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                    http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web

                    I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                    shall be.
                  • Linda Jordan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                      But do you think that is human nature? To need help? Not sure I do. Cuz
                      not everyone needs help or at least some profess not to. Like your closing
                      thought, C. S. Wyatt. Rather similar to the following: No doubt our
                      accepting what we are must always inhibit our being what we ought to be.
                      John Fowles said that, you know "The Magus" and "The Maggot." I think "The
                      Collector" too.

                      Asked the question whether anyone believes in human nature because some
                      existentialists say that (I say some because I am not familiar with them
                      ALL). Just wondering if one can be of existentialist leanings and believe
                      in human nature.

                      >From: "C. S. Wyatt" <cswyatt@...>
                      >To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [existlist] Lusa the Increasingly Annoying
                      >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:54:41 -0700
                      >
                      >Lusa should now be gone...
                      >
                      >I sometimes ponder why people need so much help. Personal responsibility
                      >seems to be a good topic for discussion. As a retail store owner, I'm
                      >amazed
                      >by people on a daily basis.
                      >
                      >- C. S. Wyatt
                      >http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                      >http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web
                      >
                      >I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                      >shall be.

                    • Edward Alf
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                        Linda et al,

                        i dont think that Chris is saying that it is the nature of humans to need
                        help ... but rather that he has noticed a lack of personal responsibility ..
                        . well that is the way im interpreting it ...

                        i think that one could have an inclination towards existentialism and still
                        believe in human nature ... if only for reason that humans have a nature and
                        one might as well believe that this is the case ... but human nature covers
                        a wealth of characteristics ... which ones are we speaking of in relation to
                        existentialism? ... there is a human characteristic which is a desire to
                        hope for the best ... but i should think that hope in this sense is
                        contradicted, since the concept of existentialism is that one makes one's
                        own world by particular choices ... of course i suppose that one can still
                        be stoic about making choices and yet have hopes ...

                        anyway, the difficulty is that existentialism can have a variety of criteria
                        within its philosophy and human nature has a wide range of characteristics
                        .. which ones fit or dont fit with which ... wow, look at me, it is almost
                        as if i knew what i was talking about ...

                        im now into Odinism ... time to go to sleep and think about this .. see if i
                        wake up with some solution to my spiritual quest ...

                        the ottawa river is still covered with ice ... it will take a few more weeks
                        ... im optimistic that i wont miss the breakup this year ... i should think
                        that one of these days the temperature will get above 10c ....

                        have fun ..

                        > But do you think that is human nature? To need help? Not sure I do. Cuz
                        > not everyone needs help or at least some profess not to. Like your
                        closing
                        > thought, C. S. Wyatt. Rather similar to the following: No doubt our
                        > accepting what we are must always inhibit our being what we ought to be.
                        > John Fowles said that, you know "The Magus" and "The Maggot." I think
                        "The
                        > Collector" too.
                        >
                        > Asked the question whether anyone believes in human nature because some
                        > existentialists say that (I say some because I am not familiar with them
                        > ALL). Just wondering if one can be of existentialist leanings and believe
                        > in human nature.
                      • Linda Jordan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
                          Human condition to hope for the best? I think not. One could consider the
                          criminally insane. One could say that these folks hope for the best I
                          suppose but what is their best--to have their crime go undetected? --to wish
                          for the shortest sentence? One could also consider those human beings who
                          are otherwise flawed--for instance, those who are afflicted with some kind
                          of mental retardation. Do they hope for the best? How do we know? How do
                          we judge people who by predisposition think differently than the rest? Not
                          sure about any of this. All questions, to me at least, worthy of thought.

                        • C. S. Wyatt
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 4, 2001
                            I believe people "naturally" seek pleasure and are self-serving. Curiously,
                            some people are "wired" through nature or nurture (though free will allows
                            us to change) to enjoy pain and/or destruction. Even saints are
                            self-serving, Augustine argued. There is the hope of eternal life -- and
                            nothing is more self-serving than eternal life.

                            In my worldview, I want a well-educated populous and a stable government.
                            These are self-serving because I cannot perform certain tasks, such as
                            dental work or internal medicine. I compromise some freedoms to exist in a
                            society -- a choice I make actively each day. This society, for the most
                            part, meets my needs.

                            I am selfish and pleasure-seeking. However, my "selfishness" is along the
                            lines of Adam Smith. (I own two businesses -- a bookstore and a publishing
                            consultancy.) For Sartre, selfishness meant embracing socialism with its
                            promise of meeting essential needs. We know how he sought pleasure.

                            On the personal responsibility issue -- I believe laziness is all too common
                            in society. People aren't willing to work to obtain what they want. A true
                            pleasure seeker is willing to overcome minor obstacles -- like work -- to
                            obtain what they want.

                            - C. S. Wyatt
                            http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                            http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web

                            I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                            shall be.
                          • mi yoo
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                              Are you saying people are naturally psychological egotists? Do you really
                              think some people derive pleasure from abusing and torturing their body and
                              mind? Do you equate pleasure with happiness?

                              >From: "C. S. Wyatt" <cswyatt@...>
                              >To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [existlist] Human Nature
                              >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:24:25 -0700
                              >
                              >I believe people "naturally" seek pleasure and are self-serving. Curiously,
                              >some people are "wired" through nature or nurture (though free will allows
                              >us to change) to enjoy pain and/or destruction. Even saints are
                              >self-serving, Augustine argued. There is the hope of eternal life -- and
                              >nothing is more self-serving than eternal life.
                              >
                              >In my worldview, I want a well-educated populous and a stable government.
                              >These are self-serving because I cannot perform certain tasks, such as
                              >dental work or internal medicine. I compromise some freedoms to exist in a
                              >society -- a choice I make actively each day. This society, for the most
                              >part, meets my needs.
                              >
                              >I am selfish and pleasure-seeking. However, my "selfishness" is along the
                              >lines of Adam Smith. (I own two businesses -- a bookstore and a publishing
                              >consultancy.) For Sartre, selfishness meant embracing socialism with its
                              >promise of meeting essential needs. We know how he sought pleasure.
                              >
                              >On the personal responsibility issue -- I believe laziness is all too
                              >common
                              >in society. People aren't willing to work to obtain what they want. A true
                              >pleasure seeker is willing to overcome minor obstacles -- like work -- to
                              >obtain what they want.
                              >
                              >- C. S. Wyatt
                              >http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                              >http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web
                              >
                              >I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                              >shall be.

                            • C. S. Wyatt
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                Yes, I suppose I am stating that people are egotists. It has been said that
                                to understand what a man is, watch a child. I see many children, and in a
                                previous life taught.

                                Children are extremely selfish... and not only the human ones. I think men
                                are also selfish, and self-centered. Many assume the world revolves around
                                them. It's difficult not to think that way when life appears to be an
                                interactive movie in front of you. We can only see ourselves in mirrors.

                                I decide who and what I will be, but to do so I must realize my "natural"
                                state and overcome it. We each have weaknesses we choose to overcome,
                                overlook, or integrate into our being. I know that I know and understand
                                very little about myself and others. However, many people seem to think they
                                know quite a bit. People are the their own "centers" of existence.

                                Then again, I'm certain I drive my Jeep with a cloaking device, making it
                                impossible for poeple with cell phones to see my vehicle in front of them!

                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                  Two statements you made: We only see ourselves in mirrors. AND people are
                                  their own centers of existence.

                                  The first I don't entirely agree with. I would say that younger people tend
                                  to see themselves only in mirrors. Expect some rambling... As I have gotten
                                  older, I have become far more self-reliant and self-aware, thereby
                                  permitting me to no longer rely on "mirrors" (others) quite as much.
                                  Mirrors are useful though. However, they reflect only those things we
                                  choose to see in them. I have lost a lot of weight recently. I am the same
                                  person. I am now getting more attention due to the weight loss, from both
                                  men and women. Therefore, syllogism-wise, the attention I am getting
                                  currently results from this weight loss. (Of course, I'm probably more
                                  self-confident as well, this perhaps causing more people to be drawn to me.)
                                  Regardless, this kind of pisses me off. As would be expected.

                                  This statement seems to apply to you particularly. You mention business
                                  ownership, jeep, wanting others to know that you perhaps have money. You
                                  mention many writers, philosophers, etc., wanting others to know you are
                                  well-read and a thinker. These things are important to you. And you want
                                  others to realize this. The mirroring desire here is very clear. Know what
                                  I mean?

                                  Next statement: People are the centers of their existences. People are the
                                  centers of their existences, if they are honest/mature enough to admit it.
                                  As you probably have come to realize, this self-existence centeredness does
                                  not have to be self-centeredness in the usual sense of the word. A positive
                                  self-centeredness is possible and desirable.

                                  Your two statements are almost contradictory. Almost. Needing validation
                                  from the world is very useful at times of course. However, if we are truly
                                  centered in ourselves, we wouldn't need that validation. There must be some
                                  balance, I believe. If, in our self-reliance, we find support for our
                                  beliefs, values, etc., then our self-concept is reinforced and therefore
                                  stronger.

                                  Hell, I don't know. These thoughts are wonderful. I am currently
                                  unemployed. I am reading/writing a lot more these days. My life
                                  objectively is pretty lousy. But having these kinds of ideas to think about
                                  is wonderful and somehow sustains me.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                    <<...and in a previous life taught.>>

                                    As I am a bit of a skeptic, and though I like to try not to skoff (as
                                    stupid as I am), I am curious as to if this was a genuine
                                    perspective, and was wondering how there is any proof of this, if so,
                                    beside what you fictionalize as memory.

                                    I have watched people's memories grow before my eyes and wonder if I
                                    am as champion at altering my perspective and vision of my
                                    'character.' I assume I am, which leaves frail possibility of current
                                    reality -- and past even less so.

                                    Richard
                                  • Linda Jordan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                      I don't think he was referring to having been reincarnated. I think that
                                      earlier in THIS life he was a teacher. Am I right, original writer?

                                      >From: thebookdoc@...
                                      >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: [existlist] Re: Human Nature, the creation of foibles, and passing
                                      >by dilusions as if gases
                                      >Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:04:52 -0000
                                      >
                                      ><<...and in a previous life taught.>>
                                      >
                                      >As I am a bit of a skeptic, and though I like to try not to skoff (as
                                      >stupid as I am), I am curious as to if this was a genuine
                                      >perspective, and was wondering how there is any proof of this, if so,
                                      >beside what you fictionalize as memory.
                                      >
                                      >I have watched people's memories grow before my eyes and wonder if I
                                      >am as champion at altering my perspective and vision of my
                                      >'character.' I assume I am, which leaves frail possibility of current
                                      >reality -- and past even less so.
                                      >
                                      >Richard

                                    • Bill Harris
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                        Americas philosopher, president postulated we have a right to life liberty
                                        and the persuit of hapiness. What a complex and revolutinary concept
                                        ,carried in so few words. The biologic imperative demands that we are born
                                        ,we reproduce, we die. The individual contracts with society for mutual
                                        benefit. The government acts as arbitrer of this contract through the
                                        construct of law. Assigning a value to various labors has been an ongoing
                                        problem. The emergence of lazy parasitic social classes has destroied the
                                        work ethic in countless societies , tribes and clans. Perhaps philosophy
                                        must shoulder the responsibility of providing a framework of values from
                                        wich the labors of the individual will be compensated by society.
                                        > I believe people "naturally" seek pleasure and are self-serving.
                                        Curiously,
                                        > some people are "wired" through nature or nurture (though free will
                                        allows
                                        > us to change) to enjoy pain and/or destruction. Even saints are
                                        > self-serving, Augustine argued. There is the hope of eternal life -- and
                                        > nothing is more self-serving than eternal life.
                                        >
                                        > In my worldview, I want a well-educated populous and a stable government.
                                        > These are self-serving because I cannot perform certain tasks, such as
                                        > dental work or internal medicine. I compromise some freedoms to exist in a
                                        > society -- a choice I make actively each day. This society, for the most
                                        > part, meets my needs.
                                        >
                                        > I am selfish and pleasure-seeking. However, my "selfishness" is along the
                                        > lines of Adam Smith. (I own two businesses -- a bookstore and a publishing
                                        > consultancy.) For Sartre, selfishness meant embracing socialism with its
                                        > promise of meeting essential needs. We know how he sought pleasure.
                                        >
                                        > On the personal responsibility issue -- I believe laziness is all too
                                        common
                                        > in society. People aren't willing to work to obtain what they want. A true
                                        > pleasure seeker is willing to overcome minor obstacles -- like work -- to
                                        > obtain what they want.
                                        >
                                        > - C. S. Wyatt
                                        > http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                                        > http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web
                                        >
                                        > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                                        > shall be.

                                      • Linda Jordan
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 5, 2001
                                          RIGHT ON, BILL!

                                          >From: "Bill Harris" <bhvwd@...>
                                          >To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
                                          >Subject: Re: [existlist] Human Nature
                                          >Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:36:16 -0500
                                          >
                                          >Americas philosopher, president postulated we have a right to life liberty
                                          >and the persuit of hapiness. What a complex and revolutinary concept
                                          >,carried in so few words. The biologic imperative demands that we are born
                                          >,we reproduce, we die. The individual contracts with society for mutual
                                          >benefit. The government acts as arbitrer of this contract through the
                                          >construct of law. Assigning a value to various labors has been an ongoing
                                          >problem. The emergence of lazy parasitic social classes has destroied the
                                          >work ethic in countless societies , tribes and clans. Perhaps philosophy
                                          >must shoulder the responsibility of providing a framework of values from
                                          >wich the labors of the individual will be compensated by society.

                                        • Edward Alf
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 8, 2001
                                            Chris et Folks,

                                            i have been out of circulation for the past few days ... it will take a
                                            while to get through all the messages ... i can only answer some ...

                                            selfishness is one of those words which has taken a beating in the public
                                            mind ... all action is selfish if we want a result ... even an action which
                                            we would want to be taken as unselfish is in a sense selfish ... it is good
                                            to be selfish ...

                                            > I believe people "naturally" seek pleasure and are self-serving.
                                            Curiously,
                                            > some people are "wired" through nature or nurture (though free will
                                            allows
                                            > us to change) to enjoy pain and/or destruction. Even saints are
                                            > self-serving, Augustine argued. There is the hope of eternal life -- and
                                            > nothing is more self-serving than eternal life.
                                            >
                                            > In my worldview, I want a well-educated populous and a stable government.
                                            > These are self-serving because I cannot perform certain tasks, such as
                                            > dental work or internal medicine. I compromise some freedoms to exist in a
                                            > society -- a choice I make actively each day. This society, for the most
                                            > part, meets my needs.
                                            >
                                            > I am selfish and pleasure-seeking. However, my "selfishness" is along the
                                            > lines of Adam Smith. (I own two businesses -- a bookstore and a publishing
                                            > consultancy.) For Sartre, selfishness meant embracing socialism with its
                                            > promise of meeting essential needs. We know how he sought pleasure.
                                            >
                                            > On the personal responsibility issue -- I believe laziness is all too
                                            common
                                            > in society. People aren't willing to work to obtain what they want. A true
                                            > pleasure seeker is willing to overcome minor obstacles -- like work -- to
                                            > obtain what they want.
                                            >
                                            > - C. S. Wyatt
                                            > http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                                            > http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web
                                            >
                                            > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
                                            > shall be.

                                          • Edward Alf
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 8, 2001
                                              mi you and all,

                                              it is easy to find some extreme ... i think the point is that there is a
                                              desire for pleasure ... and pleasure can mean happiness ... this is an
                                              ordinary and very human (i could extend it to non-human as well) quest ...
                                              why get into psychological egotists (whatever that is)? ...

                                              however if you wish to get into it ... one could argue that the person who
                                              abuses and tortures their body is seeking after something which is their own
                                              definition of pleasure ... and they in doing so, they are also seeking
                                              happiness by their definition ... whatever rock your boat ...

                                              > Are you saying people are naturally psychological egotists? Do you really
                                              > think some people derive pleasure from abusing and torturing their body
                                              and
                                              > mind? Do you equate pleasure with happiness?
                                              >

                                              > >From: "C. S. Wyatt" <cswyatt@...>
                                              > >To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
                                              > >Subject: RE: [existlist] Human Nature
                                              > >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:24:25 -0700
                                              > >
                                              > >I believe people "naturally" seek pleasure and are self-serving.
                                              Curiously,
                                              > >some people are "wired" through nature or nurture (though free will
                                              allows
                                              > >us to change) to enjoy pain and/or destruction. Even saints are
                                              > >self-serving, Augustine argued. There is the hope of eternal life -- and
                                              > >nothing is more self-serving than eternal life.
                                              > >
                                              > >In my worldview, I want a well-educated populous and a stable government.
                                              > >These are self-serving because I cannot perform certain tasks, such as
                                              > >dental work or internal medicine. I compromise some freedoms to exist in
                                              > >society -- a choice I make actively each day. This society, for the most
                                              > >part, meets my needs.
                                              > >
                                              > >I am selfish and pleasure-seeking. However, my "selfishness" is along the
                                              > >lines of Adam Smith. (I own two businesses -- a bookstore and a
                                              publishing
                                              > >consultancy.) For Sartre, selfishness meant embracing socialism with its
                                              > >promise of meeting essential needs. We know how he sought pleasure.
                                              > >
                                              > >On the personal responsibility issue -- I believe laziness is all too
                                              > >common
                                              > >in society. People aren't willing to work to obtain what they want. A
                                              true
                                              > >pleasure seeker is willing to overcome minor obstacles -- like work -- to
                                              > >obtain what they want.
                                              > >
                                              > >- C. S. Wyatt
                                              > >http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
                                              > >http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web
                                              > >
                                              > >I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that
                                              > >shall be.

                                            • Edward Alf
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 8, 2001
                                                Bill et folks,

                                                i should hardly think that the concept of liberty and the pursuit of
                                                happiness was unknown until stated by an american president ....