semantics

  • Mandy Bright
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2000
      Hi Randy

      Perhaps I need to clarify what I mean by "valid", as both you and Jack seemed to assume that if I acknowledge that something is valid, I should agree with it.  My dictionary defines valid as "having some foudation, based on truth" and with regard to logic, "having premises and a conclusion so related that if the premises are  true, then the conclusion must be true".

      When it comes to the concept of "multiple truths due to different perceptions", there is room for people to have paid attention to different details of a situation, or interpretted the meaning of events differentlyand therefore draw different conclusions.  Their arguments about why x  follows y might be different - but they can still be logical arguments and result in conclusions that are based on "truth" and therefore "valid".

      I study psychology and my belief that different belief systems can be valid is central to how I work with clients.  So for example, a hypothetical client might tell me that she believes "you can't trust anyone". She goes on to explain that she was abused by her parents, the very people who should have cared for when she was growing up; her best friend stole her boyfriend in high school; her employer sacked her right after she netted a lucrative contract for the company etc, etc, .... There is plenty of evidence to support her "personal truth" that people can not be trusted.  Although that is not my personal view, I can certainly recognise that her belief system is "valid" and I might say to her something along the lines of "I can understand how somebody who had those experiences would come to the conclusion that it is safer not to trust people". I accept her belief as valid - and I continue to disagree with it on a personal level.

      Cheers,
      Mandy