Re: [existlist] Digest Number 179

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2000
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:09:28 +0800
      > From: "Mandy Bright" <abright@...>
      >Subject: (unknown)
      >
      >All this talk about perceptions and reality is sounding very much
      >like post modernism. Isn't it fascinating that different people can
      >be in the same place at the same time and supposedly experience the
      >same thing, but perceive it differently.

      Both yes and no!

      Is it actually, objectively fascinating? No, it's not..it's not
      anything. You claim it to be fascinating, perhaps others with agree,
      and then you might say it "is" fascinating.

      On the other hand I agree with your perception so I say "yes, it
      is!". Which is right?....whichever I can persuade you to believe is
      right.

      >Therefore, to the extent that we allow each individuals perception
      >to be valid, there are multiple truths. I like that idea.

      I'm glad you to because I agree with it (with the caveat that we're
      talking about human truths, not 'real', objective, truths).

      So that said, let me ask an open question.....

      Which of the two following choices is best?

      1. Increasing the number of options you have in life?
      2. Keeping the number of options you have in life the same or
      reducing the number of options?

      If you said #1, how does Mandy's statement above relate to getting
      more options? (show your work).

      >However, is one person's truth more valid than another's? If not,
      >why do we judge some people's belief systems to be delusional and
      >discount them?

      Because they lack evidence for what they propose. It's all about your
      relationship to persuasion....how much evidence you need to convince
      yourself something is true and what does that get you and cost you in
      life?

      (I think that's a *crucial* question most people little knowledge
      about...they spend little effort trying to figure out how they tick
      and most of their time trying to manage all the thoughts that are
      part of 'this is the way I am and I might have to struggle to get
      what I want in this world.)

      Randy Zeitman
      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman