bullet proof, responsible & freedom of choice.

  • hank alphonse
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 1999
      The first problem I had was "existential Principles", I understand existential but principles dumbfounded me. I concluded, after consulting the dictionary, law, rule, or truth were synonyms, of sorts, of principle.

      This didn't satisfy me because the only one that applied is truth which in our case is subjective.

      So, I figured: existentialism is not learned. It is an innate attitude, that as one learns about existentialism they either identify or don't. My point is: as an existentialist i will answer it however I want without rules or laws.

      The second problem was: we were given two choices: imposing martial law or supporting the president.

      One or the other? No, because there are no absolutes therefore, no absolute choices.

      Finally, the "being in the situation" idea. All these models and rehearsals are great but when put into practice never pan out as planned, or as the philosophy dictionary says "abstractions can neither grasp nor communicate the reality of individual experience."

      My point is no matter what we agree on it will change in aplication.

      You guys bear with me because I am grammatically retarded and have a hard time communicating but I feel I do have something to contribute.

      Here it is. I would win the president's ear, he would be my puppet. I would nominally raise taxes (industry and weapons) and give the trade unions a nominal increase. Next, I would make the military more attractive for recruitment (money, skills), this would only be a short term solution. I would create or escalate a crisis that challenges or rallies national pride. This conflict would be more propaganda then actual fighting, every incident would be hyped up. This would focus the splintering colors on one cause. While this crisis was going I would enforce strict discipline to maintain loyalty to the military and the country as a whole. This would be an attempt to keep factions from foot-holding within the military and gaining any influence.

      This would be a non-ntrusive attempt to assist the demaocracy. If the pres let the cat out of the bag it would fail.

      Well let me know what you all think. Break it to me nice. And leave Charles alone Tom ;)

      Shawn Reed Portage, Indiana
    • Charles Vermont
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
        Hank,

        I agree with almost everything in your post. If General Violet can find a way to maintain some semblance of democracy while at the same time protecting the fabric of Indigo's society then all power to him (so to speak).

        I also agree there is no substitute for personal experience. I find even similar situations have nuances and differences which change my choices. Singing a song in my bedroom is very different from performing in front of 500 other people...

        Charles Vermont
        London, England