Re: [existlist] Digest Number 173

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
      no, i don't think having a definition of the word "unicorn" gives any
      substance to the truth that there exists such a creature as a unicorn.
      the unicorn is a perfect example of how the lack of perception prevents
      us from establishing a truth.

      --- Amber Leigh Griffioen <griffioe@...> wrote:
      > Randy Zeitman <randzman@...> writes:
      >
      > > I don't think it implies it any more than defining a Unicorn
      > implies
      > > it objectively exists. There's also no implication that truth needs
      >
      > > to be perceived or not.
      >
      > Ah, but DOES defining a Unicorn mean it objectively exists? Sounds
      > pretty
      > Platonic to me! Are we talking world of ideas here? Or does it
      > "subsist"? Just
      > curious!
      >
      > Uh-oh...ontological debate coming on...*smile*
      >
      > Amber
      >
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      > "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with
      > an
      > independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
      > Amber Griffioen
      > griffioe@...
      > amber_griffs@...
      > http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs

      =====
      ~Stephanie

      Yahoo! Mail � Free email you can access from anywhere!
      http://mail.yahoo.com/