Re: [existlist] Digest Number 173

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Stephanie <only_fantasy@...>
      >Subject: Re: More (modified) Truth, Reason & Stuff
      >
      >well, "truth is that which is regardless of perception" implies the
      >existence of an objective truth that need not be perceived and, thus,
      >is insusceptible to perspective.

      I don't think it implies it any more than defining a Unicorn implies
      it objectively exists. There's also no implication that truth needs
      to be perceived or not.

      All it is to me is a statement that perception, by definition,
      prevents us from knowing that what we see is truly real
      (being-in-itself) and any conclusion we make about our reality isn't
      truly a truth.

      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman
    • Amber Leigh Griffioen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
        Randy Zeitman <randzman@...> writes:

        > I don't think it implies it any more than defining a Unicorn implies
        > it objectively exists. There's also no implication that truth needs
        > to be perceived or not.

        Ah, but DOES defining a Unicorn mean it objectively exists? Sounds pretty
        Platonic to me! Are we talking world of ideas here? Or does it "subsist"? Just
        curious!

        Uh-oh...ontological debate coming on...*smile*

        Amber

        * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
        independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
        * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        Amber Griffioen
        griffioe@...
        amber_griffs@...
        http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs
      • Stephanie
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
          > >well, "truth is that which is regardless of perception" implies the
          > >existence of an objective truth that need not be perceived and,
          > thus,
          > >is insusceptible to perspective.
          >
          > I don't think it implies it any more than defining a Unicorn implies
          > it objectively exists. There's also no implication that truth needs
          > to be perceived or not.

          right - that's in perfect agreement with what i said. truth "is"
          whether it's perceived or not.

          > All it is to me is a statement that perception, by definition,
          > prevents us from knowing that what we see is truly real
          > (being-in-itself) and any conclusion we make about our reality isn't
          > truly a truth.

          any conclusion that we make *solely* based on perception is necessarily
          subject to flaws. but i think our perceptions contribute to finding
          truth, not prevent it.

          > - Zeitman

          =====
          ~Stephanie

          Yahoo! Mail � Free email you can access from anywhere!
          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Stephanie
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2000
            no, i don't think having a definition of the word "unicorn" gives any
            substance to the truth that there exists such a creature as a unicorn.
            the unicorn is a perfect example of how the lack of perception prevents
            us from establishing a truth.