Re: [existlist] More (modified) Truth, Reason & Stuff

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2000
      --- Jack Darach <jack.darach@...> wrote:
      > Hi Stephanie & all,
      >
      > "Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with
      > truth"
      >
      > I'd change it to,
      >
      > "Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with your
      >
      > truth"
      >
      > For my mind that clears up the ambiguous feeling I had when I read
      > it,
      > that it might be pointing to 'a' truth, an objective truth.

      well, "truth is that which is regardless of perception" implies the
      existence of an objective truth that need not be perceived and, thus,
      is insusceptible to perspective. while there may or may not be many
      things that are "true", i do think that if a truth exists, there is one
      and only one of that particular truth. am i misunderstanding what you
      mean by truth(s)?

      =====
      ~Stephanie

      Yahoo! Mail � Free email you can access from anywhere!
      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • patty duke
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2000
        Hello.
        Jack, this is in reply to you.
        I thought about your distinctions in the phrases and I
        think putting in 'your' truths can also be true (I
        can't deny it, no pun intended). It wasn't written
        with any intentions pointing to 'A TRUTH'.
        I believe that to be true.
        Beliefs can be SO ambiguous, as can be our many
        truths...man, it can go so far as to drive you crazy.
        Maybe that's what karma might be like--to reach such a
        concordance of all your truths, a sort of pure
        knowledge.
        What you say CAN be true, about having all our truths
        interrelated..., but sometimes they just don't fit in.
        I know what you mean, and it makes sense, 'cause it's
        IN the world of 'sense'; but I still think all the
        twists and turns we make in the way we feel and in the
        way we do things, just to make them fit in with
        everything, without brushing up too much, they're just

        I know we should act in accordance with what we know
        to be believe, and know to be true, but, for example,
        I know what I believe, but sometimes I also know that
        I do things that contradict that belief, just because
        they're in response to something else I know to be
        true. Like when I like someone, like I f*e*el
        attracted to them, I know I want to talk to them and
        tend to move towards that. But at the same time I
        k*n*o*w I don't want to do that, because I don't
        think it's the right thing for me, because I really
        don't need it, for example. I've been in the
        situation, which doesn't necessarily mean that anyone
        else would have to go through something even similar
        for it to be a truth--in the sense of the word I
        believe we've already come to (not 'A TRUTH').
        Either way, I believe we should all try to move
        towards making our own lives and selves in accord with
        what we know to be our most pure truths, especially in
        the moral sense, although it can get rather sticky
        there.

        Truth should not depend on perception--it should be
        THAT which is, regardless of perception. Perception
        can sometimes be guided by things like our wants and
        needs, fears and defenses...things we have to deal
        with all the time, and definately when we're
        evaluating our beliefs, because sometimes they might
        be really interfering with what we know to be true.

        Does this sound coherent, understandable, complete...?
        Man, I'm tired...eh, heh...(heavey breathing).

        CHAOOOOOO.