Re: [existlist] Digest Number 171

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2000
      >Your discussion on truth has
      >really piqued my interest. With that, I'd like to jump right into the
      >discussion.

      Excellent.

      >I agree that "Truth is that which is regarldless of perception".

      (...and Randy, being a human, thinks to himself 'I have someone who
      agrees with me, I have more evidence I'm right'. This is part of the
      human condition.)

      >Previously it was said that "Truth lies in the ability to modify your
      >behaviour in accordence with your truth." A bit of tinkering gives us:
      >"Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with
      >truth."

      I'm taking a quick guess that:
      Reason is the process of giving evidence credence.
      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman
    • Misam Abbas
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2000
        RE: [existlist] Digest Number 171

        The discussion has been pretty intense , and somehow the definition
        "Truth is that which is regarldless of perception" doesn't seem convincing to me , for of what do we have evidence that we do not perceive. Could someone care to explain.

        And another thing , is truth independent of time and space , or it is transient and local , and to make the discussion more concrete (though philosophical discussions notoriously tend to depart from this) , I would like someone to give an example of truth. Truth , to me , is an absolute , and I am not too sure what an absolute is, especially since I haven't come across one.

        >really piqued my interest. With that, I'd like to jump right into the
        >discussion.

        Excellent.

        >I agree that "Truth is that which is regarldless of perception".

        (...and Randy, being a human, thinks to himself 'I have someone who
        agrees with me, I have more evidence I'm right'. This is part of the
        human condition.)

        >Previously it was said that "Truth lies in the ability to modify your
        >behaviour in accordence with your truth."  A bit of tinkering gives us:
        >"Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with
        >truth."

        I'm taking a quick guess that:
        Reason is the process of giving evidence credence.
        --

        Signature......
        "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

        "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
        get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

        - Zeitman

        Remember the good 'ol days
        http://click.egroups.com/1/8012/10/_/433398/_/966173076/

        From The Exist List...