More (modified) Truth, Reason & Stuff

  • Jack Darach
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2000
      Hi Stephanie & all,

      "Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with
      truth"

      I'd change it to,

      "Reason is the ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with your
      truth"

      For my mind that clears up the ambiguous feeling I had when I read
      it,
      that it might be pointing to 'a' truth, an objective truth.

      Apart from that I wondered whether it was through reason alone that
      we
      modified our beliefs.

      I have feelings that make me change my beliefs and truths.
      And sometimes I don't reason out these feelings.

      So perhaps another ammendment,

      "Reason is an ability to modify your beliefs in accordance with your
      truth(s)"

      Threw in the (s)...I have a feeling (hasn't been reasoned out though)
      that truths don't work in isolation, rather as part of a interelated
      web. You tweak one truth, other truths will resonate back, the web
      changes. A change in one truth will effect other truths...

      Does that make sense to anyone?
      Anyone give an example of this?
      Do we need to think about our truthS when we modify our beliefs?

      And on another note,

      "Truth is that which is regardless of perception."

      Could someone explain this to me.

      Ta!
      Jack