Re: new person

  • Rachel Greathouse
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 6:23 PM
      Hi everybody,

      I just signed up to your e-mail list because I have to do a paper on existentialism and dont really understand what its all about. I'm basing everything I claim to know on Jean-Paul Sartre and his book Existentialism and Human Emotion. I know the basic charges he thinks have come against exis.but I dont understand the basic concept on which his responses are based. Can anyone help me out? I would really appreciate help from people more knowledgeable about the subject than I.

      Thanks

      People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when
      the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is
      revealed only if there is a light within.

    • Doug Thayer
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5 1:12 PM
        On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 06:23:54PM -0700, Rachel Greathouse wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I just signed up to your e-mail list because I have
        > to do a paper on existentialism and dont really understand what its all
        > about. I'm basing everything I claim to know on Jean-Paul Sartre and his
        > book Existentialism and Human Emotion. I know the basic charges he thinks
        > have come against exis.but I dont understand the basic concept on which his
        > help from people more knowledgeable about the subject than I.

        "Existence precedes essence"; first you exist, then you create your self
        through the choices you make. Contrast with the classical notion that
        "Essence preceeds existence"; you are created as one of many from a pre-
        existing mould (essence) and your existence consists of how well or how
        poorly you live up to that archetype.

        ----
        Doug