More flat earth?

  • Jack Darach
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      Hello everyone,
      Thanks for the response, its given me quite a lot
      to consider.

      I don't like standard definitions of Truth and Knowledge.
      I would recommend Gettiers counter examples to
      the normal definition of knowledge as justified true belief.
      From my reading of Gettier I also disliked definitions
      of truth that relied on facts and justification.

      So in my Pirate story I was trying to point
      truth in a different direction.
      I think I was misundstood. Or, what is more likely,
      I think I didn't suceed in expressing what I meant.

      Here is an attempt to clarify my previous mail.
      Which is I think advocating a subjectivism
      of a sort. (Although at the time I wrote it I didn't
      know it!)One based on the individuals actions.

      So,
      McDuff could not sail off the world even though
      he decided he was going to.

      He could not act upon his choice. There was a
      contradiction between the way he was told the
      world was and the way it actually was.

      He could find no edge, although he sailed round the
      world many times.

      Because he could not act upon his belief his
      belief could not, for him, be held to be true.

      Truth lies in action...
      Now I'm stumped, can anyone continue my thoughts?
      Does anyone think I'm going down the wrong track?

      I hope my thoughts are a little more clear this time.
      If not, well.. the more nonsense I speak the more
      I know what nonsense is, the less i'll speak in the
      future...

      Yours sincerly
      Jack