Re: [existlist] Digest Number 168

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:48:07 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: patty duke <australafemina@...>
      >Subject: Re:
      >
      >I believe humor, the joke form, is of the most pure
      >forms of expression of ideas, attitudes and the such
      >that are most usually socially controlled.

      What is a "pure" form of expression?

      >When a person makes a joke or uses language in the
      >ironic or pun form, they are using words to reveal
      >some aspect which may not be revealed in other forms,
      >whether it be due to unawareness (unconcious desires)
      >or because of social tabu.
      >Humor is an instrument for man to aleviate tension
      >around and/or uncover a certain subject, permissibly,
      >through language.

      I like that!

      Do you think humor is a mechanism for detachment? For example, if I
      said "Every night I dream I sucker-punch Gandhi." it seems a fair
      assessment that those who are attached to Gandhi being 'above
      reproach' won't find that funny, and perhaps offensive while those
      who are capable of detachment can see it as a funny, cause it's
      ridiculous statement it was intended to be.
      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman