A Flat Earth

  • Jack Darach
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2000
      Hi,

      I've just joined this list and was immediately stirred into thought
      by the following passage, please forgive me if what I say is a bit
      off
      topic.

      >And if you don't buy the stories, ask yourself, "what is truth ?" To
      >large extent, it is relative and subjective. (For all intents and
      >purposes the earth was flat, until we collectively agreed to believe
      >otherwise... or was it?)

      The earth was never flat even if all the people in the world believed
      it was.They could never have been in a position to act upon their
      belief.
      Consider Ian McDuff, a Scottish pirate of some repute, who decided one
      day to sail off the edge of the world. He believed the earth was
      flat,
      and this belief was generally thought of as true in his time.

      But try as he might he could not find the edge, twenty five years
      later
      he died a sad death, staring into a glass of ale dreaming of a
      waterfall that never ended.

      The choice to sail off the world was never open to him because the
      earth was in fact round.
      And more generally I'd say the truth of a belief is not dependent on
      collective agreement. They could not act on their belief, and so it
      was
      not true.

      Thanks for the food for thought.
      Yours sincerly
      Jack
    • Amber Leigh Griffioen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2000
        Jack Darach <jack.darach@...> writes:

        > The earth was never flat even if all the people in the world believed
        > it was.They could never have been in a position to act upon their
        > belief...
        > ...And more generally I'd say the truth of a belief is not dependent on
        > collective agreement. They could not act on their belief, and so it
        > was not true.

        Again, the difference between objective and subjective/relative truth. I agree
        with Jack that objective truths exists, and a collective agreement does not
        necessarily mean that agreement is true. I would add, however, that sometimes we
        can only "know" relative truths. (Jack's pirate had not the means to figure out
        the world was round, so he died a sad, disillusioned seafarer.) We are, after
        all, rather enclosed beings, and as much as we think we can explore, there is
        ALWAYS more to discover. We are limited to what we know and what we have the
        means to discover, but we would be hard-pressed to say that much of it is
        objectively true. Perhaps we only believe it to be...

        This is something I've struggled with a lot. Opinions on truth/Truth would be of
        great interest to me. I also would like to hear what you guys think on
        fate/destiny.

        Ciao for now,

        Amber

        "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
        independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
        Amber Griffioen
        griffioe@...
        amber_griffs@...
        http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs