RE: [existlist] Re: Mc nuggets

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2002
      Elaine,

      Well said. You are absolutely right. You might
      also add that the children of the "haves" are
      perceived by society, because they tend to be
      taller [better food will do that] as somehow being
      more capable and thus more suitable to be selected
      for a higher level position.

      However, even given these factors, merit does have
      its rewards. Sure the poor have to work harder,
      but many do succeed and therefore one cannot say
      that opportunity for everyone is a myth. We don't
      live in a feudal society where your position in
      life is determined from birth. My father was a
      machinist and although we were not starving, we
      were certainly not even middle class. I paid my
      own way through university.

      I guess I am reacting to the simplistic premise,
      in the original post, that the world is divided
      between the haves and have-nots, and that this is
      somehow reflected by some manipulative strategy by
      McDonalds. The fact is that the manufacturing
      component of North American economy has been in a
      significant decline, and emphasis is upon the
      service industry. For all that might be said
      against McDonalds and the rest of the fast-meat
      industry, it does provide a way to strive towards
      becoming a "have". I grant that it would be nice
      to everyone into the "haves", but there is also a
      certain reality. Much of this is already being
      done through welfare programs and universal
      Medicare. I just don't think that everything is
      as dark as some would paint it.