Re: [existlist] (unknown)

  • Amber Leigh Griffioen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2000
      Mandy Bright <abright@...> writes:
      > Maybe it is inherrant in human nature to take offense when another party (in=
      > this case a religious group) presents beliefs that contradict our own or,=
      > asks us to give up our own beliefs in favour of theirs.=20=20

      I believe you're right on this point. That is why I advocate preaching by
      example. For me I think the best thing to come out of mission work is the help it
      gives members of poor third world countries (post-manifest-destiny mentality, of
      course). No on should be doing any "arm-twisting" to get someone to convert.
      That should be a personal choice that is not shoved down a person's throat. This
      is something I feel very strongly about, and it really angers me to see religious
      fundamentalists use the old "it's our way or the highway" tactic. (Most people
      would choose the highway over Jerry Falwell. I would! *gg*)

      > Mark 16, 15- 16. "he said to them "Go into all the world and preach the go=
      > od news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, b=
      > ut whoever does not believe will be condemned..."

      I think I can really only be certain about my own fate, not those of others.
      WHich is not to say we shouldn't have missions! It's simply an anti-judgemental
      thing. And I don't think it's overly PC to say that. To share what you believe
      should not be viewed as a crime, but like this list, it should take place as a
      dialogue, and not be forced on ANYONE.

      Ciao for now,

      Amber

      "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
      independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
      Amber Griffioen
      griffioe@...
      amber_griffs@...
      http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs