Regarding Religion

  • Adam Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2000
      Hello everyone

      I'm new to this group, however, I can say that I am glad to be part
      of
      a group that discusses matters at an intelligent level, and seem to
      be
      genuinely philosophically inclined.

      My thoughts on religion:

      I appear to agree with the current common census. God, and therefore
      religion, originated as a lust, a natural human desire, for
      metaphysical and moral security. Humans instinctively (at least in
      most, if not all, existing and pre-existing cultures) have a desire
      for absolutes, whether it be absolute truth, absolute love, absolute
      life, whatever. As a way of fulfilling those needs, a God is created.
      Something that is powerful, mystical, and distant, and is therefore
      able to fulfull those needs. God is the personification of desires.

      As an absolute, God requires absolute dedication. People are expected
      to bring "heathens to God", for it is part of the "unconditional
      duty"
      of theism (at least Christianity)

      THAT is the (at least mine) basis for religious dedication. God, as a
      human creation, fufills the base desires of those weak enough to
      desire them. Absolutes are comforting, especially when you follow one.

      Hope to hear from all of you soon...