Re: [existlist] Digest Number 163

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2000
      >Religion....
      >It affronts my sense of self determinism to have an institutionalised
      >religion impose a structure on my thinking. I find it patronising.

      Philosophy...
      It affronts my sense of self determinism to have an some academic try
      to figure out my thinking. I find it patronising.

      People make is sound that one following religion has a reduced number
      of choices. They don't...they choose to follow it.

      That said, one could, and many do, take the attitude that religion is
      designed to help people be the best they can be. How come I'm a
      Existentialist and don't find it patronising at all...you chose that
      it was.

      >My
      >mother, who is older and, I am sure wiser in her way, tells me that I " just
      >have not found the right religion yet..." and, "it will become more
      >important as (I) grow older" and even "Don't you think that they impose a
      >structure on your thinking at university?"

      Don't you think the English language imposes a structure on one's
      thinking? I am constantly seeking more structure..with my diet, work,
      finances..everything.

      Am I doing a bad thing by limiting my food choices or intake because
      I want to get thinner?

      This is not about religion, it's about attitude.

      >And if you don't buy the stories, ask yourself, "what is truth ?" To a
      >large extent, it is relative and subjective. (For all intents and purposes
      >the earth was flat, until we collectively agreed to believe otherwise... or
      >was it?)

      That's correct...and I wish people would apply the same viewpoint to
      'patronizing' and other indictments of religion and people in thier
      lives. That kind of self-awareness and humility is at the core of
      personal empowerment.

      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman