Re: Necessity of God, Faith

  • Macduff Hicks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2000
      I feel it is time I contributed to this discussion, and I have many things
      to say, so here goes:

      First of all, the poll in, I beleive, Digest #159. I think life would be
      easier for me if I could beleive in some sort of a supreme being, but I
      would need proof, and since God's existence (at least that of the
      garden-variety Christian god) relies on faith, it (he, she) could not prove
      its own existence without simultaneously negating it. Sorry, that was
      excessive and beside the point, but that is part of why I cannot believe.

      Anyway, that is what the belief in God boils down to: faith. I believe that
      all people need to have faith in something, because without faith all
      existence is meaningless. Some people are strong enough (or skeptical
      enough, in my case) to be able to have faith in themselves. This is, I
      think, a step beyond ordinary religion, and something I suppose we could
      call modest humanism, or independent humanism. Other people, however (and
      most of them at that), cannot believe in themselves, and therefore must have
      something bigger and better to have faith in them, and thus "God" enters the
      picture. People belive in a god because the cannot believe in themselves.
      This is also where the issue of subservience arises: since this god is so
      much better than me, something I can neither aspire to nor comprehend, I
      should worship it. I find this sort of thing sick and sadistic, but hey,
      that's just my opinion.

      Also, someone got incensed because most people who were contributing to this
      discussion were keeping it confined to the Christian deity. I believe that
      all religions are here to serve two basic purposes: first, to give people
      some object of faith, and thus to lend meaning to existence, and second, to
      provide us with a social and moral infrastructure. Most religions fulfill
      these two qualifications, and whatever variances (names, practices, etc.)
      they may have are extraneous and irrelevant.

      I'm glad I am a part of this discussion, for this is a compelling issue. I
      welcome any criticisms or complaints and, since everyone else has been using
      quotes, I leave you with these thoughts:

      "The state should be our servant and not we its slaves." -Einstein

      "I think, therefore I am." -Descartes

      "And that's the way it is." -Cronkite