Re: [existlist] the question of faith...

  • T Brooks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2000
      Please remove me from this list
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2000
        Please remove me from this list
      • Tom J
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2000
          I haven't really got time to say much. However, since when did faith in god
          automatically equate to weakness? I know some very strong Christians.
          People die from advocating their beliefs all over the world.

          Also, many people turn to god when the going gets really tough?.....it seems
          they only believe when they feel helpless. It could be argued that they do
          not have the strength to commit to a firm belief in god and the faith that
          comes from it in every day life.

          Finally, who made personal freedom an absolute criterion through which the
          validity of actions should be judged? Does anything we do actually only
          effect us? Everything we do through choice is surely an advocacy of a
          way of behaving. The more popular a particular action or inaction becomes,
          the more prevalent and acceptable it becomes. "Passive brainwashing" if you
          like.

          I think the belief in god also requires belief in yourself and faith in your
          own abilities. Being subservient to deity doesn't necessarily negate your
          worth. In fact, many would argue that it fulfils it.

          Tom