Re: [existlist] Digest Number 160

  • Randy Zeitman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2000
      >You make faith sound like an easy thing, and perhaps these days it's
      >made out to
      >be just so: EASY. However, I buy into the good old Kierkegaardian
      >argument that
      >faith is the most difficult--and most important--action (yes, it is
      >an ACTION) in
      >the life of a human being.

      I agree and the reason exposes an important argument point..rational
      thought. Deciding is a rational act, not a reaction. And when one
      starts to think rationally one finds that having faith is basically
      guessing because any rational person who would choose a well-grounded
      solution instead of an unsupported one.

      So faith is indeed harder because it requires you to ignore what you
      know to be so...to beleive in the face of evidence to the contrary.
      As such I consider belief a breakdown of personal integrity.
      --

      Signature......
      "In the best relationships sex is the booby prize."

      "I'm gotten so out of shape sittin' at the computer all day that I
      get out of breath when I have to reach for the percent key!"

      - Zeitman
    • C. S. Wyatt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2000
        Faith.

        I must agree with Amber (who apparently has enough faith in mankind to post
        her phone number in messages) that faith in its various forms is an action.
        Even remaining with a religion due to your familial background is a choice,
        assuming you are exposed to other ideas.

        I know that I have a faith of some manner, even if not in a creator. I might
        not be able to express this faith, but I do have it. I choose to believe in
        science, while knowing it is flawed. I choose to believe what I see on
        certain news networks, what I read in certain magazines matching my biases.

        We select a faith that supports our biases. Simone said that Sartre spent
        his life trying to defend French culture as logical, since he came from an
        elite family. He had "faith" that he must be better than others -- that even
        his culture must be better.

        Humans are weak. We struggle against our nature each day. Some of us
        struggle more than others, and maybe we do think of ourselves as superior
        for this.

        I have not been as active in this mailing list (despite founding it) or any
        other discussions because I have been pursuing the typical American dream:
        making more money. I own businesses. I am a capitalist pig. I have faith in
        an economic system, knowing it is flawed.

        We see what we want. We have faith because we need to trust something... we
        certainly cannot trust ourselves. Ah, bad faith -- the bane of
        existentialism. I can only try to be authentic, but pure authenticity is
        beyond me. But why can't I believe science is pure? A Creator is pure?
        Something in the universe must be pure!

        Doubts are too complicated. I want to believe in something... but I don't.
        (Then again, Sartre was able to attract women, so there must be a wickedly
        ironic higher power.)

        - C. S. Wyatt
        http://www.tameri.com A site for writers
        http://www.tameri.com/csw My home on the web

        I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not all that I
        shall be.

        PS: I shall scan eGroups and see what fun is to be found. I am glad people
        are having real discussions.