Re: [existlist] Existentialism and the necessity of God...

  • Jared Frailey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 20, 2000
      As long as you are not harming another person's
      freedom, you should be free to act on or think what
      you wish. I wouldn't be allowed to lock someone in a
      cage or kill them, but I would be free to do anything
      that does not harm another person's freedom. :-)

      --- Amber Leigh Griffioen <griffioe@...> wrote:
      > Jared Frailey <lostmaia@...> writes:
      >
      > > The uneducated people, that I know personally,
      > derive
      > > all of their values and morals from their church,
      > the
      > > members of their church, and other community
      > members.
      > > This to me does seem directionless. My ideal
      > would be
      > > where every individual decided what would be
      > "good"
      > > and "evil" to them personally. There seems more
      > > personal direction in my ideal, but societal,
      > > governmental, and religious direction would fade.
      >
      > So if I go through an exhaustive mental process and
      > decide that, to me personally,
      > it would be OK to hit another person in the head
      > with a baseball bat, you'd
      > support that because it was my own personal idea of
      > "good"? Because as soon as
      > you step in and say it's not OK, you are imposing
      > some sort of moral law over me.
      >
      > Sorry if I'm nitpicking,
      >
      > *Devil's Advocate*
      >
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      > "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free
      > human being with an
      > independent will, which I now exert to leave you."
      > -Jane Eyre
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      > Amber Griffioen
      > griffioe@...
      > amber_griffs@...
      > http://www.geocities.com/amber_griffs

      =====
      Best wishes,
      Frailey

      Revering the universe, caring for nature, celebrating life -
      The World Pantheist Movement: http://www.pantheism.net/index.htm