Re: [existlist] the question of faith...

  • Amber Leigh Griffioen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2000
      > I am not trying to say that those
      > who go to church (or temple, or whatnot) are not strong enough individuals
      > to act on their own, I am wondering why they feel the need to believe in
      > something greater than themselves? I am not saying faith is illogical,
      > though it is (however I am not a logical person),

      *grin* Contradictions galore! But no matter...

      > I am saying that faith is
      > good if you need it to function in everyday life. Here's my personal quote,
      > it sums up the entirety of my feelings about religion and God: "I may have
      > lost my faith in God, but I've never had more in myself." Any comments,
      > criticism, or questions are more than welcome, constructive though...

      You make faith sound like an easy thing, and perhaps these days it's made out to
      be just so: EASY. However, I buy into the good old Kierkegaardian argument that
      faith is the most difficult--and most important--action (yes, it is an ACTION) in
      the life of a human being. I also believe that most people, myself included, do
      not have true faith, and that many of those who do may not even be aware of it.
      Now in Kierkegaard's world, it was Christianity that was discussed, but I would
      not be opposed to a more pluralist view. I don't think SK would have been either.
      In true existentialist fashion, he would say that the only person you can worry
      about is yourself.

      The type of faith Jason seems to be referring to is, indeed, a problem these days.
      Faith--and therefore God/religion--are seen a crutch to lean on. I would argue,
      however, that true faith knocks that crutch out from under you and makes you "walk
      the path less traveled" (for lack of a better phrase). True faith is not knowing,
      but believing nevetheless. You might feel completely alone on that path, but you
      take it because you are sure it is leading somewhere. Does this make any sense?
      Comments and observations would be very welcome at this point!

      Thanks for hearing me out...

      Amber

      "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an
      independent will, which I now exert to leave you." -Jane Eyre
      Amber Griffioen
      (507)664-9279
      griffioe@...
      amber_griffs@...